WALNEY Central put their Barton Townley Cup defeat at the hands of Barrow Island behind them with a comprehensive victory over Seaton.

Despite going into the game without half-backs Brad Nicholls or Jamie Morr – as well as several others – Cents gained revenge for a loss up the coast last month as their youngsters stepped up to the mark in a 32-14 win.

Seaton put up a brave show and played good rugby, but it was the home side who went ahead on seven minutes as Matty Elliott put in a high kick which evaded defenders, allowing Jake Rushton to touchdown, too far out for James Finch to convert.

Seaton applied pressure, assisted by Cents conceding three penalties, and Matt Tunstall and fellow prop Adam McGlasson pushed to the home line, where a long ball almost had Marc Surtees in at the corner, but the winger knocked on.

Walney turned defence into attack, with Elliott’s deep kick forcing Lewis Mason to knock on over his own line.

Cents pressed, with Mike Whitehead making yards which resulted in Dave Nicholson going in at the corner for an unconverted try and an 8-0 lead.

Seaton came back strongly, but when Magil Charter’s pass went into the hands of Staffieri, the attack broke down.

On 20 minutes, it was 14-0 as good play saw Stuart Tippett come into the line, and he touched down for Finch to convert.

Seaton again took the game to their hosts and quick hands enabled Surtees to cross out wide for 14-4.

This spurred on the West Cumbrians, and a long ball from former Workington forward Matt Tunstall saw Matt Dixon spot the opening to touchdown and cut the lead to 14-8.

The game flowed from one end of the field to the other, and after Jack Healey was held up over the line, Cents added to their tally when a stab through the cover from Elliott saw Declan Gavin going in from close range for 20-8 at the break.

Two minutes into the second half, the scoreboard was ticking over once more, this time in Seaton’s favour.

A chip through the Cents defence saw Tunstall swoop and score, with John Bayan adding the goal.

Wen the visitors were caught offside five minutes, later Finch sent the ball between the uprights for two points.

Staffieri eased matters on 65 minutes, going in from close range after Healey had sent Tippett to within a foot of the line. Adam Nicholson added the goal to make it 28-14.

Staffieri was soon touching down for his second after Gavin had made a strong run to the line for the final score of the game.

Also in the Cumbria League, Ulverston went down 24-18 at home to Glasson Rangers

In National Conference Division Two, Askam came out second best at Dudley Hill, going down 37-10 while Millom lost 32-16 at home to Oulton.

In Division Three, Barrow Island lost 44-24 at Waterhead, having been 18-6 down at the break, with three late tries ending their hopes of a win.

Brandon Corrie crossed for his first senior try, with Joe Spencley (2) and Matt Sayle also scoring, with the latter adding four goals.

In North West Men’s League Division One, Hindpool were 40-12 winners over Wigan St Pat’s A at Brisbane Park, after leading 24-6 at half-time.

Tries for the Tigers came from Nathan Sneesby (2), Connor McDermott (2), Daryll Archer, Lee Boyd and Josh Bayliss. Connor Goodings kicked five goals and McDermott one.