Barrow AFC 3 Boreham Wood 1

Barrow AFC will have the chance to equal a 104-year-old club record at the weekend after Scott Quigley’s latest two goals helped them to their seventh win in a row and dispatch Boreham Wood.

Quigley now has 11 goals in his last 12 games and is proving to be the prolific scorer the Bluebirds sorely lacked last season. His ruthlessness is the main reason their performances are getting the results they deserve.

For large periods they were excellent again in front of a good midweek crowd of 1,758 and they could have had more goals to their name at Holker Street.

Their surge has continued into a second month and if Dover are defeated at home on Saturday they will draw level with their best-ever winning run, which came way back in 1905.

Boreham Wood had the first chance when Tyrone Marsh played a lovely ball over the top that was brought down well by Kabongo Tshimanga, who was denied by a brave block from Joel Dixon. John Rooney then almost produced a moment of absolute genius on nine minutes when he spotted Wood goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore off his line and his lob from 45 yards dropped not far over the bar.

Just one minute later, the free-scoring AFC midfielder had another chance from slightly closer in – the edge of the area, from where he was denied by what was a very good save by Ashmore.

But the hosts’ bright start was rewarded in the 14th minute when Jamal Fyfield’s misjudgement allowed Dior Angus to get in behind down the right and his low ball across goal gave Quigley a tap-in to put him into double figures for the season.

Four minutes later, Angus lived up the ‘like buses’ saying, as he doubled Barrow’s lead when his low effort from the edge of the area slipped under the dive of Ashmore, who possibly should have saved it.

There was almost a spectacular third when Olly Dyson teed up Rooney, whose thunderbolt of a shot from long range went just wide of the top corner at the near post.

But Boreham Wood had a lifeline after 31 minutes when Marsh was left completely unmarked from Adam McDonnell’s corner to head in from close range.

Josh Kay almost restored the Bluebirds’ two-goal cushion four minutes before half-time when his brilliant curling effort was superbly tipped on to the top of the bar by Ashmore.

Tshimanga then had a chance to equalise within a minute of the restart, but didn’t really get hold of his shot, which drifted wide of the far post.

Barrow huffed and puffed in the second half and it took until the 74th minute for them to have a big chance in the second half as Quigley brought down Brad Barry’s long pass, only to be denied by Ashmore.

Dixon then made a big save to stop the onrushing Marsh, as the Wood pushed to level the game, but AFC finally made things safe with eight minutes left. A through ball was deflected into the path of Quigley and there was never any doubt as he blasted the ball past Ashmore to keep up his team’s, and his own, incredible run.

Barrow AFC (3-4-1-2): Dixon, Hird, Platt, Brough, Barry, Rooney, Taylor, Kay, Dyson (Hardcastle 62), Angus (Hindle 87), Quigley (Harrison 85).

Subs not used: Brown, Granite.

Boreham Wood (3-5-2): Ashmore, Stephens, Fyfield, Thompson (Mingoia 79), Woodards, McDonnell, Murtagh (Shakes 90+2), Thomas, Ilesanmi, Tshimanga (Shaibu 72), Marsh.

Subs not used: Gregory, Wickham.

Referee: David Richardson

Attendance: 1,758

Bluebirds star man: Scott Quigley