CUMBRIA County Cricket Club were one ‘Moulton magic’ ball away from victory, but lost their second match in this year’s National Counties One Day Trophy campaign.

Cambridgeshire hosted Cumbria at Fenner's, the University cricket ground, and having won the toss the visitors elected to bat.

They soon found themselves on a sticky wicket against a laterally moving ball.

Third ball Freddie Fallows (Kendal CC) was through a shot to leg side early and the ball looped up for a simple catch at cover.

Sam Dutton, Fallow’s fellow opener for Kendal and County, was clean bowled to give Wayne White his second wicket in his second over.

Jason Marshall (Wimbledon CC) came to the crease.

An experienced opener who had previously played for Durham University, Marshall was making his debut in National Counties cricket.

No further runs were scored before an inswinger cramped Ben Walkden (Newton-le-Willows CC) who could not get enough on it to clear Harrison Craig on the deep square leg boundary.

Eight for three off four overs was not what captain Matthew Sempill (Cockermouth CC) would have hoped for as he walked out to join Marshall.

Marshall and Sempill left or defended the next 11 balls. Then one reared up at Sempill off Jack Loveday, catching his withdrawn bat at chest height and looping up to second slip.

Marshall and Ben Davidson (Carlisle CC) seemed to get into a rhythm, but sadly Marshall was out lbw to White.

After mini partnership between Davidson and Greg Cameron (Keswick CC) did provide some respite, but Cameron then fell to a mirror-image of Fallows’ dismissal.

The scoreboard was not troubled before Davidson tipped and ran, probably unaware that point fielder Callum Guest has one of the deadliest arms in NCCA cricket.

Finlay Richardson (Kendal CC) was agonisingly short of his ground when keeper Lee Thomason collected the incoming ball and smoothly whipped off the bails.

At 30 for 7 off 17.3 overs Ed Moulton (Chorley) joined Davidson. Just over five overs later Davidson was caught by slipper Ben Seabrook off Sykes.

When Sykes trapped Moulton lbw exactly four overs later the score had only advanced by five runs.

Fortunately for Cumbria Nico Watt (Carlisle CC, 11) and Sam Sharp (Kendal CC, 14) were able to nudge and nurdle the Sausages to a far from sizzling total of 59 in 34.1 overs before White got Watt out lbw.

Defending the lowest score by their county in the history of the One Day Trophy, Cumbria were probably shell-shocked as they took to the field.

The hosts were on eight runs from 2.5 overs when Moulton trapped Henry Wilson lbw.

Then 11 balls later Moulton clean bowled Will Routledge.

Three slips were put in place for Moulton’s fourth over. Immediately the ball flew off Connor Craig’s bat to be pouched by second slipper Fallows.

Eight dot balls later Ben Seabrook replicated the Fallows-Cameron manoeuvre, the ball looping off his bat to be caught at Cover by Dutton off Sharp.

Last ball of 11th over Moulton seemed on for his fourth maiden.

Four slips and a gully had left gaps in the field. Alex Pierson hit the ball to the vacant long on position. He and Thomason went for a second run. Dutton hared from cover, threw the ball to Moulton who casually removed the bails with Thomason inches short of his ground.

At 29-5 off 11 overs the hosts were not romping away. Three overs later Moulton got Callum Guest lbw and clean bowled White.

Excitement mounted when Cambridgeshire were reduced to 49/8 through Sykes holing out to Dutton at cover off Walkden, then 50/9 when Moulton clean bowled Loveday.

Three balls later Cumbria had an appeal turned down for an lbw by Moulton against No.11 batter Harrison Craig.

Despite best efforts neither Moulton nor Walkden could get that last wicket, so the hosts won by one wicket with an unbelievable 30.3 overs to spare.

Moulton posted figures of 10 overs, four maidens (two wicket maidens, one double wicket maiden), 6 wickets for 20 runs.

Cumbria are at home to Northumberland in NCCA’s One Day Trophy this weekend.