Widnes Vikings 44

Barrow Raiders 8

BARROW got off to a good start with a Ryan Shaw penalty goal, but then it became a disastrous 75 minutes with sending off and two players in the sin bin, on the hour mark.

The Raiders found themselves up against it being down to 10 men midway through the second half, conceding a further 22 points.

And to make matters worse for Barrow, Greg Burke went down in a tackle and the game was held up for 15 minutes as he was attended to by the medics, before eventually being taken off on a stretcher.

Also in the wars was Aaron Smith who came off not to return, while fellow hooker Josh Wood limped around the final minutes.

Danny Langtree former Raiders had put the Vikings ahead at 22-8 when Ryan Shaw was sin- binned for obstruction.

Brad Walker showed his dissent for the judgement on Shaw and was himself sent to the bin.

Walker then had words with the fourth official and was then shown a red card.

Minutes later Barrow were down to 10 men when skipper Jarrad Stack was binned following a tussle with Ryan Ince, who also was sent to the sin bin.

Shaw opened the scoring with a penalty goal 0-2 then the home side hit the front with three tries inside a 15-minute spell.

The first came off the back of two penalties and a gap appeared for Mike Butt to cross the whitewash. Tom Gilmour failed to convert 4-2.

When Ryan Johnston tried to find a way through the cover, he was smothered in the tackle by former Raider Langtree.

The Vikings struck again minutes later when keeping the ball alive, Jack Owen was the provider for Stephen Wilde to cross the Barrow line. Gilmour was on target with the kick to make it 10-2, and the home side were up and running.

Barrow were finding it difficult to get the ball in hand and when they were caught offside in defence, a kick to the corner evaded Shane Toal and gathering the ball was Rhodri Lloyd who dotted the ball down.

Gilmour tagged on the conversion to put the hosts 16-2 up.

Barrow had it all to do, and came close only for Ryan Shaw to step into touch on his way to the home line.

In the closing stages of the first half, Barrow did have more possession and piled on the pressure.

Widnes stood firm until the 38th minute.

Aaron Smith was held up over the line and from the restart Brad Walker chipped over the cover and his partner in crime Johnston swept to touchdown by the posts. Shaw added the goal to make it 16-8 at the break.

The second half was close prior to Langtree crossing the visitors line for Gilmour to convert 22-8.

Then it all went wrong for Barrow with Shaw and Stack in the sin bin and Brad Walker sent off while Burke was carried off on a stretcher.

However, it was Barrow who almost scored with Tom Walker held up over the line, while Wood also went close.

A tired Barrow side with Shaw and Stack back on the field ran out of steam as the Vikings ran in tries through Butt, Joe Edge (2), and Gilmour who added three conversions.

Barrow now have a week off before travelling up the coast to face Whitehaven on Good Friday. Barrow: Creswell, Toal, Clarke, Costello Shaw, B Walker Johnston, T Walker, Wood, Silva, Greenwood, Stack, Makin. Subs: Emslie, Burke, Smith, Wilkinson.