BARROW were condemned to a third successive defeat in an eight-goal thriller at Salford City.

The Bluebirds fell behind to a spectacular Callum Hendry strike from range, but completed a quickfire turnaround with goals either side of the interval. 

Cole Stockton levelled first with a delightful curling effort before the half-time whistle, while Tyrell Warren handed the visitors the lead with a header after the restart.

However, Pete Wild's side's advantage proved to be short-lived with Conor McAleny landing a sucker-punch blow, finishing smartly to tie up the game again. 

The eventful fixture took another twist when the Ammies regained their earlier lead, with Hendry notching his second of the game courtesy of a wicked deflection.

A Matt Smith double quelled any chance of another Barrow fightback, despite Stockton’s best efforts, who added a late consolation.

Defeat on the road again means that Wild’s side are still pursuing their first away victory of 2024 as they slipped down to sixth place in League Two.

A resurgent Salford started promisingly with Paul Farman called into action inside six minutes to deny a McAleny effort.

Barrow responded positively to their early warning sign with Niall Canavan and George Ray both having early sights at goal. 

And Canavan came close to notching an early opener when he hooked a Robbie Gotts corner goalwards, but Alex Cairns saved on the goal-line. 

Kian Spence was inches away from notching his seventh goal of the campaign when his ambitious effort from range whistled narrowly wide of the post.

Despite the Bluebirds’ growing momentum, it was the hosts who opened the scoring against the run of play through a beautiful Hendry strike.

Farman was helpless as the Salford forward’s drilled first-time strike arrowed into the top corner.

The home side should have doubled their lead when Garbutt struck the crossbar, and the defender’s miss proved costly. 

Stockton soon levelled with an impressive strike of his own, with the January recruit composing himself before guiding a delightful effort into the far corner.

And Tyrell Warren completed the turnaround straight after the restart when he nodded home an inviting Robbie Gotts corner.

A dramatic second half ensued with McAleny again levelling the proceedings when he found a yard of space in the box to fire beyond Farman. 

Salford gradually grew in momentum with Barrow entrenched in their own half, and the hosts’ persistence was rewarded beyond the hour mark. 

Hendry added his second of the afternoon with a major slice of fortune, with his strike taking a wicked deflection to wrongfoot a helpless Farman.

The imperious Matt Smith handed the home side a two-goal advantage when he nodded in his 20th goal of the season.

And his 21st league strike soon followed, bundling in a wicked Elliot Watt delivery to take the fixture beyond any doubt. 

Stockton, a shining light in a disappointing display on the road, completed his brace as he added a consolation shortly before stoppage time.

However, his best efforts to rouse another fightback were in vain as Salford edged a dramatic afternoon of football in Greater Manchester.