COLE STOCKTON marked his full home debut in style as he fired Barrow back into the League Two promotion places with a first-ever win over MK Dons.

Pete Wild’s Bluebirds got back to winning ways after Stockton, on loan from Burton Albion, bagged the only goal of the game at Holker Street.

And it was a welcome win for the Bluebirds who got back to winning ways with just a second victory in eight games.

It saw them leapfrog Wrexham, who lost 3-1 at Salford, as well as stopping the Dons closing the gap in the play-off places.

Wild named an unchanged starting line-up from the side which drew at Notts County last time out.

There was a slow start to proceedings as both sides felt each other out akin to the opening rounds of a boxing bout.

Paul Farman kept his hands warm as he easily stopped Alex Gilbey’s low long-range effort.

Wild’s Bluebirds created chances in the first half, but failed to break down the visitors

The hosts saw two tame penalties shouts waved away after claiming two balls into the box hit stray MK Dons’ arms.

Barrow fashioned a decent chance on the half-hour mark as Telford found Elliot Newby, who forced Filip Marshall into a good save to tip his strike past the near post.

Telford fluffed his lines as he failed to get his feet in order to divert Lucas Stephenson’s cross goalwards before Sam Foley fired wide of the mark from a poor clearance.

Niall Canavan had to walk a tightrope after being booked for hauling down Gilbey on the halfway line.

Kian Spence tried one of his trademark strikes, after being found on the edge of the box from a neat short corner routine, but it flew marginally wide.

After the break, Telford’s well-struck half-volley went wide as another chance went begging.

And then unmarked Foley squandered a big moment when he volleyed Dean Campbell’s whipped cross over at the back post.

Barrow had the ball in the net through Spence, at the rebound after Stockton’s shot was saved, but the linesman’s flag was quickly up.

The hosts denied Gilbey an easy finish when they blocked his effort from seven yards out.

Ben Whitfield made a huge impact off the bench.

Stockton struck the hammer blow with 12 minutes to go after Whitfield expertly slipped the striker through to blast home a finish into the roof of the net.

And the midfielder produced a delicious corner delivery as fellow substitute Jamie Proctor rose highest only to nod wide.

The two subs linked up in reverse in stoppage time as Whitfield forced Marshall into a great save after he met Proctor’s near-post cross on the volley.

But Barrow needed shot-stopper Farman to ensure a vital win late on when he smartly pushed Joe Tomlinson’s low strike wide.