Barrow 24
Featherstone 34

Barrow gave second-in-the-table Featherstone an almighty scare as they fought brilliantly in defeat.

The Raiders again were missing several players and faced a strong Rovers side that are pushing leaders Leigh for a place in Super-League.

The home crowd rose to their feet after only two minutes as they roared try machine Tee Ritson on an 80-metre run to score.

Ritson plucked the ball out of the air from a Matty Wilde pass and left defenders in their wake as he raced downfield to score, Ryan Shaw tagging on the goal 0-6.

The visitors drew level on 11 minutes when Johnathon Ford chipped over the defence to send Jake Broadbent in at the corner for Craig Hall to convert 6-6.

Barrow almost responded when Josh Wood kicked ahead only for a defender to pip him to get the first touch over the line. Wood was injured as he tried to score and left the field for a spell.

Matty Costello then pulled off a try saving tackle on Ford as Craig Kopczak came on for Rovers.

Within a minute of being on the field, Kopczak breezed through a gap from close range to dot the ball down, Hall tagging on the goal. 6-12.

The score line increased for Rovers four minutes later and it was former Toulouse man Ford slipping a neat pass for Josh Hardcastle to cross, Hall adding the goal 6-18.

On the hour mark it got worse for Barrow as Costello made a hash of things at a play the ball, resulting in Leilua crossing the white-wash, but Hall failed to convert, 6-22.

Barrow were up against it having not had ball in their hands for a long period but hopes were raised as half time approached. Jarrad Sammutt chipped ahead, Tee Ritson was off like a flash in pursuit to collect the ball and when in sight of the line was pulled back by the shirt by Broadbent who was sin-binned.

From the tap penalty, Ritson was rewarded when he took a high ball from Ryan Johnston to cross outwide, Shaw landing a great touchline goal 12-22 at the break.

The second half was barely underway when a Medical issue took place on the popular side. Referee James Childs called a halt to the game for 20 minutes while the incident was dealt with.

On resumption Barrow hit the straps as Costello released Ritson who cut inside and on his shoulder to score was Luke Creswell, Shaw once more on target with a fine conversion 18-22.

Joey Leilua eased matters for Rovers with an unconverted try on 50 minutes,Hall failing to convert 18-26.

Never say die Barrow were back in the hunt two minutes later when Sammut stole the ball in the tackle to dart in from 30 yards,Shaws goal making it 24-26 and all to play for.

Barrows brave effort ended when Morgan Smith touched down followed by Ben Helliwell. The final try came off the back a try saving tackle by Ritson on Leilua.

From the play the ball, Helliwell went in at the corner. Barrow now travel to Newcastle on Saturday.

BARROW RAIDERS: Cresswell, Ritson, Costello, Shaw, S Toal, Sammut, Johnston, Gillam, Wood, Iaria, Langtree, Stack, Morrow. Subs used: Mossop, Crellin, B Carter, Hopkins.

Mail Man of the match: Tee Ritson: two tries one assist and a try saving tackle.

Attendance: 2,590. Referee: James Childs.