BARROW’S hopes of progressing in this year’s Papa John’s Trophy were cruelly dashed by Accrington Stanley with a 1-0 defeat at Holker Street.

A third-minute goal from Lewis Mansell was enough to give the League One side victory and ensure the Bluebirds went out of this year’s competition at the first hurdle with a missed Scott Quigley penalty proving costly.

Barrow boss David Dunn made nine changes to the side that lost at Grimsby last time out and Barrow got off to the worst possible start when they went a goal behind after just three minutes.

Kgosi Ntlhe failed to clear his lines and a cross from the right was deflected past Josh Lillis by debutant Mansell from close range.

Barrow responded well to the setback and had an early chance to level proceedings from the penalty spot on 11 minutes.

Jayden Reid, making his first start for the club, was too quick for Stanley defender Ross Sykes who brought the winger down in the box with a clumsy challenge only for Quigley to see his penalty superbly saved by Nathan Baxter low to his right.

Quigley tried to make amends for the spot kick miss minutes later with a shot that was again well saved by the on-loan Chelsea keeper who was to have an outstanding first half.

Stanley then enjoyed a period of dominance as another Chelsea loanee Tariq Uwakwe forced a neat save from Lillis and Sykes had a goalbound volley blocked by Scott Wilson.

The Bluebirds finished the first half strongly with Birmingham loanee Reid again looking lively as he steamed past two Stanley challenges to get into the box and draw another fine save from the excellent Baxter before Quigley saw another shot from distance kept out as an entertaining half came to an end.

The second half started with Accrington on the front foot with Lillis saving neatly from Stanley substitute Dion Charles and the visitors following up with a number of early corners that forced Barrow to defend well.

Barrow responded briefly with Quigley powering his way into the area only to produce a poor final pass to the unmarked Jason Taylor.

The visitors thought they had a second goal on 67 minutes when Ryan Cassidy slid home Joey Pritchard’s near post cross only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

That decision gave Barrow hope and they pushed to get back into the game but for all their neat football they failed to produce any chances of note.

A Patrick Brough cross was just too high for substitute Dimitri Sea but that was a rare moment of threat as Stanley saw the game out to move into the next round.