BARROW’s wait for a first Football League win since 1972 went on after a 2-2 draw against Walsall.

The Bluebirds twice squandered leads to settle for a point at Holker Street.

Caolan Lavery bagged a brace as the Saddlers twice battled back to snatch a point.

Dior Angus opened the scoring with a penalty before Luke James’ thunderbolt.

David Dunn made three changes to the side who heartbreakingly squandered a 3-1 lead to draw with Bolton on Tuesday night.

Former boss Ian Evatt came back to haunt the Bluebirds as their wait for a first league win of the season went on.

Sam Hird, who managed the side in David Dunn’s absence due to COVID, returned to the starting line up as captain.

The Bluebirds showed no signs of a Bolton hangover as they started brightly. Harrison Biggins and Luke James were the other two to come into the team.

Goalkeeper Joel Dixon was tested early on to keep out Caolan Lavery’s header.

Luke James was a great creative spark as the Bluebirds tested the visitors.

Returning Biggins squandered a great early chance as he fired James’ cross just over the bar.

This time it was James who came close when he fizzed an effort just wide of the mark.

James found Jason Taylor who was superbly denied as Walsall stopper Liam Roberts tipped it over the bar.

And seconds later James was frustrated as Roberts did well to keep his low shot out.

The Bluebirds’ luck changed as Josh Kay won a penalty after being felled by Cameron Norman - and Angus made no mistake from 12 yards to give the hosts the lead.

Just before the break Saddlers’ Lavery blasted over the bar from the edge of the box.

But they restored parity in stoppage time as Lavery converted Dan Scarr’s cross.

Matt Platt nodded over in the seventh minute of added time in the first half.

Barrow reclaimed their lead five minutes after the restart.

James’ hard work paid off as his stunning strike nestled in the top corner to give Dunn’s charges the lead for the second time of the afternoon.

But the lead once again didn’t last long as Barrow conceded a spot kick of their own.

Taylor fouled Zak Jules as Lavery stroked home from 12 yards to level.

Down the other end the Bluebirds were left fuming when shout for a second penalty were waved away when Angus went down in the box.

Barrow luckily stayed level as Emmanuel Osadebe’s effort, after twisting to find space, flew back off the post.

Chris Taylor could only nod Brad Barry’s cross straight at Roberts as hopes for a late win went begging.