Barrow 1 - 1 Stevenage 1

Barrow were heartbreakingly denied a win on their Football League return after Inih Effiong rescued a late 1-1 draw for Stevenage.

It looked like The Bluebirds would earn their first Football League win in 48 years after leading since the 12th minute through a Dior Angus penalty.

But last season’s basement boys earned a share of the spoils after the former Barrow man won a penalty and then coolly slotted home with four minutes to go.

It was a sobering lesson for David Dunn’s men who saw a number of good chances to bag a crucial second goal go begging.

Jamie Cumming had made two fine second half saves before the woodwork came to Stevenage’s rescue.

Barrow got off to a perfect start in their new surroundings when Angus kept his cool to slot home from the penalty spot following a foul by Remeao Hutton.

Stevenage responded well and nearly drew level when Danny Newton had an 18th minute shot deflected wide.

The Stevenage frontman then had a shot well blocked a minute later, before nearly getting on the end of an Osborne free-kick.

But Barrow, who last beat Stevenage in the 2010 FA Trophy final, stood firm and nearly doubled their lead when Barry flashed a header narrowly wide from a Hardcastle corner on 27 minutes.

It signalled somewhat of a lull in goal-mouth action with the game turning into a midfield battle. Elliot List sent a header wide for the visitors on the stroke of half-time.

Joel Dixon showed great awareness to raise out and collect the ball as List tried to get on the end of a throughball on 48 minutes.

Barrow were able to clear their lines after Newton knocked a corner into the path of Marsh five minutes later.

It was the second quick-fire corner for the visitors as they started to crank up the pressure.

Jamie Cumming made a brilliant fingertip save to turn away a Mike Jones shot for a corner on 55 minutes.

James Jones had a low shot held by the keeper after a good run out of The Bluebirds defence on 63 minutes.

Ntlhe rattled the woodwork with a powerful header from Hardcastle's corner on 72 minutes as Barrow looked to kill the game off..

Luke Proser headed over for Stevenage from Arthur Read’s free-kick on 78 minutes as the visitors started to push forward. But they got their reward for late pressure when Effiong slotted home in the bottom left corner to rescue a point.

Barrow: Dixon, Barry, Jones, Hird, Ntlhe, Brown (Wilson 83), Jones, Hardcastle, Beadling (Biggins 73), Hindle (James 57), Angus. Subs: Taylor, Gribbin, Lillis.

Stevenage: Cumming, Wildin, Cuthbert, Prosser, Hutton, Osborne, Vincelo (Read 60), Smith, List, Newton, Marsh (Effiong 64). Subs.Johnson, Vancooten, Akinwande, Dinanga, Marshall.