Dalton earned the local bragging rights over Ulverston with a 22-16 win before a large crowd at Kelland Park in the North West Men’s League’s First Division.

It was a hard-fought contest that was well officiated by up-and-coming referee Elliot Burrow.

Both teams were not afraid to let the ball do the work despite persistent rain falling throughout the 80 minutes.

Ulverston were first to threaten with half-backs Marc Storey and Connor Saunders linking with Marc Dixon to send Mark Wilkinson to the home line, but he was bundled into touch a foot short.

And when hooker Will Coles tore down the middle of the park, his pass to Marc Storey was judged forward as he headed for the try line.

Dalton settled and it was they who went into a 6-0 lead when Jack Crarey forced his way over in the corner for Pat Kelly to convert.

Ulverston’s response was soon to arrive with Tom Spedding going over after good approach work from Matty Storey and Liam Saunders, the kick from Connor Saunders bringing the scores level at 6-6.

Play went end to end, with Dalton regaining the lead on 18 minutes when smart handling from one wing to the other resulted in Kelly crossing in the corner despite the attention of Wilkinson, the kick from Kelly failing to hit the target, 10-6.

Dalton were now having the better of things and increased their lead when Jack Gedling went in at the other corner for an unconverted try, 14-6.

Ulverston came more into the frame, with Marc Storey being held up and it was the stand-off who put in a dangerous kick over the home line only for Sam Purslow to swoop and avert any further danger.

Liam Saunders then put in a strong burst but the home cover hauled him down in the 20-metre area. Matty Storey then spilled the ball close to the line as the pressure mounted, but Dalton held firm.

Almost on the stroke of half-time the deficit was cut as the quick-thinking Gareth Knowles romped in from 20 metres out, with Connor Saunders’ conversion making it 14-12 at the break.

Minutes into the second half, Ulverston moved the ball sharply along the line, only for Connor Saunders’ pass to wingman Wilkinson go into the arms of Harry Gordon, who covered 90 yards to score, Kelly adding the goal.

Kelly soon added a penalty goal to make it 22-12 as the game went into the final quarter, with Ulverston closing the scoring with a well-taken try from Wilkinson.