Just as we thought the football season was getting back on track after the recent bad weather, the coronavirus put paid to the majority of the amateur football fixtures in the area last weekend.

The West Lancashire League took the step of cancelling their fixtures, while the Furness Premier League left the decision with the clubs as to whether games went ahead or not. A handful of games did take place and they threw up some tasty scorelines.

In the Furness Senior Cup, Furness Premier League side Croftlands Park visited the Training Pitch to take on West Lancs outfit Furness Rovers and caused an upset by progressing with a thumping 5-0 victory.

Croftlands found themselves 1-0 up thanks to a Lewis Jones goal and midway through the half, Matt Dean lobbed the Rovers ‘keeper to double the lead. Just to compound Rovers' poor start, Joe Tindale was sent off after reacting to a tackle.

Croftlands put the game to bed early in the second half when Dean struck again. The visitors then rang the changes and subs Jordan McGarry and Ben Mooney both came on and got on the scoresheet in what was a fairly dominant performance.

It was better news for Furness Rovers reserves, as they beat Crooklands Casuals reserves 2-1 in the Junior Cup. Ash Allenby and Jack Roberts were both on target for Rovers, while Callum Leach was on target for Crookies.

In the Horne Cup, Furness Cavaliers reserves beat Askam United reserves 6-5 on penalties after the game finished 2-2. Cavs took the lead through a Tom Jackson goal but before the half-time oranges, Askam scored an equaliser from a corner.

Askam were dominant in the second half and Declan Kell scored a cracking goal to put them in the driving seat. Against the run of play, Robbie Bell rounded Askam ‘keeper Sean Hagan to equalise and Cavs held out for the last five minutes to take the game to the dreaded spot kicks.

The first ten penalties were dispatched without much fuss until Askam missed and Jamie Wright stepped up for Cavs and fired home to send them through to the quarter finals.

Kirkby United reserves lost 4-1 at home to Soccer Bar in Division One of the FPL, with Lee Kavanagh, Iaian McDonald, Conner Bone and an own goal making up the Soccer Bar total.

Hawcoat Park A beat Croftlands Park reserves 2-0 thanks to goals from Matty Pickering and Brad McKenna.

Holker Old Boys reserves beat Kirkby United 5-3 in the early kick-off in the Premier Division, Connor Erdis (2) Charley Thompson (2) and an own goal doing the damage for Holker. Sean Gardner, Paul Cleasby and Alfie Thorpe replied for Kirkby

In the North West Counties League, Holker Old Boys lost 1-0 on the road at Ashton Town.

In a season that looks like it could run into the summer, let’s hope it finishes with everyone healthy.