Walney Central made an unhappy return to the Cumbria League, as they came out second best to Glasson Rangers, who were 38-16 victors at Central Drive.

The Cents were outgunned against a much slicker and heavier Rangers side who were in control throughout. The bigger forwards proved a handful for the hosts, particularly Gary Tierney and Joe Kirkup, who were rampant with ball in hand.

It took only two minutes for the visitors to get the upper hand when slick play enabled Josh Ackerley to plunge over from close range for Keenan Winter to convert and the scoreboard was ticking.

However, it wasn't long before Cents were on level terms as Paul Wilcock had the ball ripped from his grasp. From the tap, in like a shot was impressive hooker Dec Gavin, and adding the extra two points was Dave Nicholson.

The Rangers were soon to respond as they restored their six point lead and this time it would not be surrendered. Prop John Cameron took play upfield before passing to centre Steve Mumberson and his neat inside ball found Tierney, who dotted the ball down,Winter tagging on the goal.

This spurred on the visitors, who extended their lead with Kirkup tearing through the home cover and under the posts was hooker Matt Burns -Winter adding the goal to make it 6-18.

Walney now had it all to do but the determined Jordan Staffieri crashed over after Matty Elliott had gone close, and Nicholson narrowing the gap to 12-18.

But Walney put themselves under pressure, as a high tackle saw Glasson move the ball sharply only for Burns to drop the ball with the line in sight. However, there was no stopping Mumberson, as he prised open a gap to score, Winter's conversion making it 12-24 at the break.

Five minutes into the second period, Glasson swept downfield and crashing over was Cameron for Winter to convert again, 12-30.

The task grew harder for Cents but a good run from Luke Harrison took play deep, only for Jonathan Corkill to spill the ball.

Winter added a further two points from a penalty to make it 12-32 on the hour mark.

Walney now began to play it fast and almost got on the scoresheet, only for a neat flick out of the back door from Elliott being intercepted yards short of the Rangers line.

Harrison then was prevented from crossing the whitewash with three defenders hanging on before a counter-attack saw Kirkup in by the posts for Winter to convert, although Walney rounded off the scoring in the final minute with Elliott's lofted pass found Nicholson, who was in at the corner.