After weeks with no meaningful action the majority of local sides were back in action this weekend and although the pitches created some heavy going there was plenty of action to report across all the leagues.

It wasn’t a successful return for Vickerstown, however, as they poor run continued with a 2-1 defeat to Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Jackson Round scored for the home side but they also missed two penalties which didn’t help their cause in their fight for survival in the Premier Division of the West Lancashire League.

In the North West Counties League, Holker Old Boys welcomed Pilkington to Rakesmoor Lane and goals in each half from Chris Wraighte and Tom Dawson gave the hosts an excellent 2-0 win. The result sees Holker take up 11th place in the table.

In West Lancs Division One, a Ben Phizacklea double and a Callum Rayner goal helped Askam United to a 3-0 win against Hesketh Bank.

Crooklands Casuals also picked up three points on the back of their 2-0 win at Eagley, as goals from Robin Oldfield and Adam Bolton secured the points.

Ulverston Rangers lost 1-0 at Horwich St Marys and in the derby game, Millom hosted Hawcoat Park at Hanna Field, but it was Hawcoat who enjoyed the day out as they won 2-1.

Hawcoat took the lead through a Carl Mackay strike but Jamie Pattinson levelled things up midway through the first half. Minutes later, Jamie Hodsgon struck a long-range free kick right into the top corner and this is how the score remained.

In Division Two, Dalton United lost 5-2 at home to Burscough Dynamo. Jon While put Dalton ahead early on, but Burscough scored three goals in a ten-minute spell either side of half time.

The visitors stretched their lead on the hour mark and went further ahead with five minutes left on the clock before Keith Holmes grabbed a consolation effort for Dalton in the 90th minute.

In the Challenge Cup, Furness Cavaliers and Furness Rovers both fell to 3-0 home defeats at the quarter final stage. Cavs lost their tie to Freckleton and Rovers lost to league leaders Rossendale, who scored all their goals in the last 15 minutes.

Holders Walney Island are through following a penalty shoot-out win at Kendal United after the game finished level at 2-2.

Walney took the lead through a Kieran Solloway goal and then hit the post on two occasions and missed more chances to put the game to bed before Kendal grabbed an equaliser five minutes before the interval after a defensive error.

The second half was an exact copy of the first with Walney going ahead again but missing chances came back to bite them as a long-range effort ended up n the back of the net with only five minutes left on the clock.

However, goalkeeper George Scott was then the hero in the shoot-out as he saved two of Kendal’s spot kicks.