Dalton pulled off the shock of the round by dumping holders Millom out of the Barton Townley Cup at the first hurdle by winning 12-6 at Kelland Park.

Played in artic conditions and a five-minute hailstorm, both teams contributed towards an exciting 80 minutes of cup tie rugby.

Neither team were content to keep it tight on a heavy pitch, as they concentrated on trying to play open rugby, although Dalton came within eight minutes of keeping a clean sheet.

However, from a rare second half raid, the Woolybacks snatched back a converted try to keep the supporters of both sides on edge as the clock ticked down. There were one or two anxious moments for the hosts, but they held out to claim a famous victory.

Millom were put on the back footing from the kick-off when they knocked on allowing Dalton to mount the pressure, which resulted in a converted try in the fourth minute.

Elliott Stockdale put in a high ball, which was gathered by Tom Sharp who sent Josh Grant in at the corner, with Pat Kelly converting from the touchline.

Dalton had their tails up and went close through Stockdale after good work from Ryan Baines. It took Millom several minutes before they gained territorial advantage and when Jonathan Hodgson stabbed the ball through, Grant failed to gather, resulting in a scrum ten yards out.

Astin Mossop drove the ball up, only to be held short. From the play the ball, Ross Brooks fed Niall Harris but with the line open he lost possession and when Millom gave away a penalty, Hodgson spoke out of turn and was sent to the sin bin.

With four minutes of the half remaining, the home lead was extended after Dane Kelly was penalised for holding down in the tackle. Fifteen yards out and direct, Pat Kelly made no mistake with his kick at goal, 8-0.

Millom’s last hope of the half came when Harris was held held short when the tackles ran out.

Dalton took on the Woolybacks early in the second period, but when Purslow joined a threatening attack he lost the ball ten yards out.

On the hour mark, Millom almost broke their duck when after Dane Kelly had made good ground, the ball was moved wide for Moyes to dive over but a forward pass was ruled.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Dalton increased their lead when Charlie Emslie lost lost the ball 30 yards from his own line and in like a flash was Harry Gordon to race over.

Millom had it all to do, and although they hit back with a Hodgson try and Postlethwaite goal, it was too late and Dalton earned their hour of glory.