Barnet 3 - 0 Barrow

It was a result which seemed unlikely after a comfortable opening hour, but three quick-fire second half Barnet goals saw Barrow AFC bow out of the FA Trophy at the third round stage.

Bluebirds manager Ian Evatt made six changes to the side which faced Dover on Tuesday night.

A notable inclusion was club captain Josh Granite who returned from injury in place of Sam Hird, who along with team mates Scott Quigley, John Rooney and Brad Barry, didn’t travel to the capital.

In comparison, the home side named a full strength line up but it was the visitors who had the first opportunity with ten minutes played.

When Olly Dyson was scythed down 30 yards out, Lewis Hardcastle stepped up to free kick duties, but his effort hit the top of the wall allowing the home side to clear.

With twelve minutes played the home side fashioned the first real chance of the game and it fell to Xander McBurnie. Simeon Akinola broke down the left and after making it into the Barrow area, squared it for McBurnie who somehow fired wide from close range.

As the first half wore on the Bluebirds took advantage of space down the wings with Jack Hindle twice being found on the right hand side. On each occasion the forward was able to cut inside and get at his full back, but good tackles stopped him from getting any meaningful effort away.

With the game reaching the half hour mark Barrow very nearly took the lead, with only a superb stop from Scott Loach denying them. Patient build up play led to Hardcastle threading a through ball to Dyson, the striker bending a shot towards the top corner, only for Loach to fly through the air and tip it behind.

As the second half got underway the home side had a golden chance to open the scoring less than two minutes in. Akinola raced into the box and with just Simpson to beat, dragged a shot wide of the far post.

With the hour mark approaching the Bluebirds were inches away from taking the lead. Hardcastle was found twenty five yards out and, after earning himself a yard of space, fired a ferocious effort at goal which Loach managed to tip onto the cross bar.

Despite their dominance, goals change games and the Bluebirds were made to pay with just over an hour played. After failing to clear their lines, the ball fell to Cheye Alexander who fired a low effort into the bottom corner.

Bad turned to worse for Barrow just two minutes later. A quick Barnet counter attack found Simeon Akinola just inside the Barrow penalty area, the striker took a touch before rolling the ball past Simpson in the Barrow goal.

Despite the introduction of Josh Kay and Dior Angus, the Bluebirds fell further behind a couple of minutes later. After taking possession in the area, Josh Walker got the better of the Bluebirds back line before firing past Simpson with the assistance of the far post.

With the game all but won for Barnet the game then petered out, the only notable event being the introduction of reserves player Tom Dawson for Byron Harrison with ten minutes to play.

The Bluebirds host Dagenham & Redbridge at Holker Street next Saturday.

Barnet: Loach, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Adams, Akinola, McBurnie (Elito), Vilhete, Walker (Santos), Tutonda, Sweeney (Edwards. Unused subs: Azaze, Sparkes, Fonguck

Barrow: Simpson, Brown, Platt, Granite, Brough, Taylor, Hardcastle, White, Hindle (Angus), Dyson (Kay), Harrison (Dawson). Unused subs: Dixon, Fitch, Hodgson, Penfold

Star Man: Lewis Hardcastle

Attendance: 763 (70 away)