Dalton brought the Barrow & District League season to a close last Friday by winning the Cumbria Shield after thrashing Walney Central A 50-18 at Craven Park.

The two sides had previously met in the Knock Out Cup final a few weeks earlier, when Dalton the victors in a tough and competitive game of rugby, but Walney were late replacements for Millom A, who had to pull out.

Dalton starting the game at speed and with purpose and Walney struggled early on to hold the wave of Dalton attacks.

Some quick passes opened up gaps in the Walney defence, as first Joe Crarey then Ryan Baines touched down for Dalton with both converted by Crarey.

This set the tone for the first half as Dalton kept pinning Walney back and another quick fire pair of tries seemed to put the game beyond Walney's reach as first Evan Jones crashed over followed by another Baines try.

More good attacking rugby saw good hands from Harry Gordon and Joe Crarey feed Baines who crossed under the posts for his hat-trick.

Another fine move involving Gordon, Baines and Crarey then fed Harri Brown, who finished of a sweeping move from right to left.

To Walney’s credit, they never gave up and from a quick play the ball, Stu Tippett was on hand to dive over, Harry Gee converting to keep Cents in the game.

Straight after half-time, Tippett crossed for his second try with Gee converting, but their hard work was undone as a misplaced pass was picked up by Gordon who fed Jones and he then released Tom Sharpe, who dived over wide on the left.

Another quick play the ball saw Baines put Jones through a gap, the back rower looked like he was going to be held up but managed to extend his right arm in the tackle and touch down for his second try.

Not to be outdone, Walney responded immediately with some neat passing from Gee, Ellis Rea and Matt Henderson who fed Mike Whitehead and he released Tippett to go through to complete his hat trick.

Another sweeping Dalton move saw quick hands from Gordon, Baines and Crarey move the ball from left to right with Sam Purslow diving over wide on the right to complete the scoring.