The new season in the Furness Premier League kicked off last weekend and the testing conditions provided some high-scoring games and interesting results.

Champions Croftlands Park made the trip over the bridge to face Walney Island reserves and everything seemed to be going to plan as goals from ex-Walney player Mike Carr and Lewis Jones put Croftlands 2-0 up.

Walney pulled a goal back through Seth Storey, but Tom Pavett restored the two-goal advantage. Walney then found another gear, however, and goals from Storey and Jordan Hughes drew the scores level at 3-3 and it was the home side who were unlucky not to snatch all three points at the end.

Newly-promoted Barrow Wanderers had Dan Turner to thank as his goal meant they picked up a 1-0 win against Kirkby United.

Haverigg United made a strong start with a 4-1 win against Dalton United reserves, with Anthony Foster (2) Luke Chmiel and Jamie Cairns scoring their goals and Frazer Shand grabbing the consolation for Dalton.

Millom reserves also started well with a 4-1 win over Holker Old Boys reserves, as Neil Shaw, Andrew Woodburn, Chris Wood and the recently-married Dave Harefoot all got on the scoresheet. Steve Forbes replied with Holker’s consolation.

Hawcoat Park reserves fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Britannia,who started the game the brighter of the two sides and after some good play, Jordan Wallace struck an excellent goal from outside the box.

Hawcoat had the better of the second half and it took some great saves by Steve Edney and goal-line clearances by Conor Robinson to secure all three points.

Bootle and Barrow Celtic played out an 11-goal thriller at Millholme and it was the home side Bootle who eventually won an amazing match 6-5. Jono France (2), Rob Johnson, Stu Thompson and Jacob McParland all got on the scoresheet for Celtic.

Holker Old Boys put last week’s heavy defeat against AFC Darwen behind them in the North West Counties League, as they picked up three points with a 2-1 win at home against Golcar United.

Teenager Tom Dawson and Brandon Collins were on target for Holker either side of a Josh Lang goal for Golcar.

In Division Two of the West Lancashire League, Furness Cavaliers won their first game of the season 2-1 against Kendal United. Macauley Woods struck twice for Cavs, who had Tom Harris sent off after 30 minutes for a last-ditch tackle.

Furness Rovers had a convincing 5-0 win away at Storeys, as Jamie Sandham bagged a hat trick and Joe Tindale a brace.