Hindpool Tigers’ Trophy hopes were blown out of the water at Brisbane Park last Saturday, as they were heavily beaten 52-12 at home to Chorley Panthers.

The Tigers were up for this North West Men’s League semi-final clash but they were never at the races with the game virtually over after only 16 minutes on the clock.

By that time, the Panthers were rampant, carving the home defence open at will as they raced into an 18-0 lead.

The Tigers, to their credit, stemmed the tide crossing for a converted try only to concede 12 points inside two minutes just after the half hour.

From this point, there was to be no way back, though in the second half they did defend strongly for long periods until tired legs gave in.

Connor McCormack had a good run for the home side after only a minute’s play but he was hauled down. Grant Burns also went close before Chorley hit their straps with an Adam Mellor try, which was converted by Alex Mellor.

Almost immediately, scrum-half Craig Dooley prised open a gap to score and it soon turned into 0-18 when loose forward Alex Clare tore a big hole in the Tigers defence to send Dan Mellor between the sticks, Alex Mellor converting.

Hindpool settled as Burns headed for the line. He was held, but Josh Bayliss crashed over from close range and Josh Archer converted.

This gave the home side a lift as they applied pressure, with Mike Pearce and Tom Heighton working hard and the Panthers having to defend strongly.

On the half-hour mark, Dan Mellor chipped over the cover and snapping up the ball to touchdown was Clare, the goal from Mellor widening the gap to 6-24.

Before the Tigers could catch their breath, Dan Mellor was in for a well-worked try, courtesy of a neat ball from Clare. Alex Mellor tagged on the goal to make it 6-30 at the break.

Hindpool were competing in the early stages of the second half with Paul Rickleton working hard in attack but there was no stopping Mike Gill who cruised in from 40 yards.

Chris Gill was next to cross with Alex Mellor converting to take Chorley to the 40-point mark.

The Tigers were not discouraged and on 68 minutes good approach work was rounded off with Nathan Sneesby touching down, Burns adding the goal.

However, late tries from Dan Mellor and James Rutledge, plus two Alex Mellor goals, sent the impressive Panthers sauntering into the final.