Ulverston were denied a share of the spoils against Haresfinch when a 40-yard penalty goal attempt from Connor Saunders sailed wide in the dying seconds of their 24-22 defeat at Dragley Beck.

In a topsy turvy last few minutes, Dennis Porter’s boys came back from 20-6 down to go 22-20 ahead only for a Daz Wilson try to regain the lead for the Warrington side on 78 minutes.

A young Ulverston side were second best for most of the 80 minutes but they stuck to their task with a never-say-die attitude to shake Haresfinch when all seemed lost to snatch what appeared to be a winning lead as the clock ticked down.

However, after the hard-working Tom Spedding touched down for Saunders to convert, disaster struck as from the restart, the ball went into touch giving the visitors the scrum and to fox all in defence Wilson shot around the blind side to romp in unopposed.

Then to Ulverston’s joy, they gained possession from the restart and were awarded a penalty for an infringement in a tackle. Unfortunately, the usually reliable boot of Saunders sent the ball wide of the target and referee Dave Clarke sounded his whistle to end the game.

The visitors were up and running on nine minutes when their impressive centre Josh Ainscough took a high bouncing ball to cut inside and touch down, Nathan Hudson adding the goal.

Ulverston almost replied only for Johnny Hutton to fail to gather cleanly from five yards out. On 23 minutes, the visitors were into double figures as there was no stopping Wilson, who burst through from forty yards out to score.

Wilson was at the heart of several raids, but it was at the other end that Ulverston went close through Saunders only for him to be held up.

However, they did open their account after Andy Benson made good yards and in from a play the ball was Marc Dixon for Saunders to convert, but their joy was short-lived as Ainscough crossed for his second try, 6-14.

Then on the stroke of half-time, full back Matt Ross chipped over the cover to regain and touch down, Hudson tagging on the goal for 6-20.

The second half was close with Spedding and James Porter working hard to get further points on the board. Their persistence paid off on 68 minutes when a long ball from Saunders found Joe Akrigg who went in at the corner.

Four minutes later, a neat piece of footwork from Marc Storey found Spedding who crashed over for Saunders to convert to make it 16-20 and game on.

This lifted the home side and delight followed as Spedding crossed from close range, Saunders converting for 22-20.

Then from the restart the ball into touch and Haresfinch feed. Wilson gathered and went blind to race over, 22-24. Ulverston then regained the ball from the kick-off and gained that penalty Saunders failed to convert.