In what was their first home game in over three months, Walney Central pulled off a fine 30-16 win over Halton Farnworth Hornets at Central Drive last Saturday.

It was just a second win of the season for Cents in the Premier Division of the North West Men's League after a prolonged period on the road.

It was a very entertaining game throughout and it was ex-Barrow boy Andy Litherland who sealed the win with a brace of tries in the last four minutes to complete his hat-trick.

The game hung in the balance at 20-16 going into the final minutes and it was the returning home of Litherland who dented the visitors' hopes.

The Cents took the game to Farnworth and almost went ahead on four minutes, only for Adam Nicholson to lose possession under the posts.

However, it was Farnworth who went ahead, as stand-off Dan Mellor took play to the posts and from a quick play the ball, the attack went right and in at the corner was winger Dan Hamellet, with the touchline goal coming from Craig Dooley, 0-6.

Walney came more into the action and drew level on 15 minutes with a fine try from Dec Gavin, who was on hand to round off a good attack involving Nicholson and Stu Tippett, converting was Elliott Bibby.

And it was Bibby who came to the rescue when he took a huge kick from the influential Mellor as the troops came through at pace.

Farnworth soon hit back to regain the lead when a stab to the line was gathered by Mike Durbin who sent Alex Clare over for Mellor to convert, 6-12.

With six minutes of the half remaining, Cents came back again with a fine try engineered by Nicholson, Matty Elliott and Brad Nicholls, which led to Litherland going under the posts, Bibby levelling with the goal before his penalty put the hosts 14-12 ahead at the break.

The second half was two minutes old when Jordan Staffieri swooped on a dropped ball to race in from 40 yards out, Bibby adding the extra two points.

Farnworth almost responded when full back Alex Mellor raced down the touchline but four defenders were back to bundle him into touch.

Man of the match Matty Elliott then broke in midfield and was haring for the line when he fell to a great cover tackle from Dan Mellor.

Then the home side were rocked as hooker Kevin Hulme dummied his way through to gallop in from inside his own half to close the gap to 20-16. Dooley was then almost in within two minutes but he lost the ball in the tackle.

The Cents survived to go upfield with the clock ticking down. Close to the touchline, Nicholson launched a high kick to the other corner and Litherland rose high to gather and score.

And to round off the win, Elliott broke and on hand to complete his hat-trick was Litherland.