Askam were never in the hunt as they crashed to a heavy 60-6 defeat to title chasing West Bowling at Fallowfield Park in Division Two of the National Conference League last Saturday.

It was always going to be an uphill struggle with a squad decimated this season, but it was a brave effort by the lads on show.

They faced a Bowling side that was much sharper, but the home side deserved all credit for effort in trying to get points on the board.

The Villagers found it difficult to cope with the pace of Bowling, with second rower Richard Lumb a tormentor-in-chief as he repeatedly made telling breaks to set up raids.

The visitors applied the early pressure with Lumb in the thick of the action and it was from one of many breaks he made that Bowling went ahead on eight minutes.

Lumb tore downfield which resulted in scrum-half Liam Coe touching down, half back partner Harry Williams adding the goal.

It was Williams who made a break to send full back Ben Heald over, but a forward pass was ruled, and when hooker Oliver Bartle broke clear, his pass inside hit a defender.

However, there was no stopping Louis Fraser crossing out wide after more good play from Lumb - Williams adding the goal.

The home cover was under constant threat and on 23 minutes swift hands enabled Fraser to touchdown for his second try, 0-16.

Askam settled and came more into the game with Sam Broadley making good yards before being held down in the tackle. Good play from Brad Jackson sent Kier Shepherd into Bowling territory with Luke Duncalf being held short.

The attack continued with success, as Jackson's short ball sent Alex Brailsford over the whitewash, Jackson adding the goal.

This lifted the home side as they kept Bowling at bay with good defending, but on the stroke of half-time full back Heald was going in at the corner, Williams closing the half with the goal for 6-22.

The second half was barely under way when Lumb cut through on the angle to touchdown and 6-26 soon became 6-30 when Joe Hammond went in at the corner.

Lumb again was involved minutes later, slipping the ball out of the tackle for prop Nat Light to score. The floodgates were now open and a rampant run from 50 yards out saw loose forward Lewis Galtress keep abreast of would be tacklers to score.

Askam did apply pressure, with Gareth Richards working hard, but tackles ran out as Dave Finlayson stabbed the ball into the arms of Bartle.

Lumb went close only to be held up but there was no stopping Chris Watson scoring from close range, again Williams converting.

Askam went close through Todd Steel and Shepherd prior to Brett Greenwood scoring and Bartle also touched down before the end, with Williams adding both goals.

Askam now have to regroup for Saturday's visit of Barrow Island.