Millom made it a record tenth Barton Townley Cup victory with a comprehensive 50-10 win over Ulverston in the final at Craven Park on Friday night.

The Woolybacks were far superior with ball in hand and ran in some scintillating tries but all credit to Ulverston, who worked hard to get across the whitewash only to find a stubborn Millom defensive wall, although they did touch down twice.

The Dragley Beck side contributed towards their own downfall in the opening 17 minutes as they conceded 16 points through indiscipline, with three tap penalties producing three tries.

Ulverston started quite well and applied the early pressure with Connor Saunders setting up raids, but finding a way through proved difficult.

The Woolybacks had no such problem as they opened their account on five minutes when a sweeping attack from Connor Terrill, Adam Kelly, Tom Newbiggin and Ross Brooks paved the way for Joe Wright to cross, with Kelly adding the goal and Millom were off and running.

Ulverston did go close through Marc Saunders, but he lost the ball in trying to go over. A further penalty was punished when more swift play enabled Hanley Dawson to prise open a gap to score.

Old head Tom Sibley added to the misery after a third penalty as he buried his way over from close range, Kelly tagging on the goal.

Stunned, Ulverston came back strong with Saunders, ‘Dinger’ Bell and Steve O’Connor sending Johny Hutton in at the corner for a fine try, 16-4.

Dom O’Brien almost extended the lead but lost the ball in crossing the line. However, there was no stopping a further try courtesy of a fourth penalty as good play saw Newbiggin and Brooks link for Rickie Donaghue to score.

With half time approaching and from a close to the line scrum, Charlie Emslie forced his way over to make it 24-4 at the break.

It was Elmslie who was soon crossing for his second of the night minutes into the second half as he rounded off a neat attack, with Kelly adding the goal.

Impressive youngsters Kian McPherson (16) and Astin Mossop (17) were in the thick of action along with Hanley Dawson (18) who was next on the scoresheet, Kelly adding the goal for 36-4.

Then came the try of the match as Dawson tore upfield and as ever the man in support Brooks touched down.

Ulverston replied, as Tom Spedding made good yards and on hand to score was James Porter, with Saunders converting.

Porter was then sin-binned as Millom added tries through Owen Myers and O’Brien, with Kelly adding one last goal to bring up the half-century.