Dalton withstood late pressure to lift the Frank Reid Cup with a 28-22 victory over Ulverston A in the final at Craven Park on Wednesday night.

Dalton looked comfortable with seven minutes remaining at 28-16 and with Ulverston down to 12 men after Connor Saunders was sent off for talking out of turn, but the Dragley Beck side crosssed for a converted try and were pressing when the final whistle sounded.

Man of the match Joe Crarey was at the heart of several Dalton raids and his goal kicks proved to be vital in this end-to-end encounter.

Almost 20 minutes into the action, Ulverston got into Dalton territory and went ahead when after Andrew Benson was held short, Rowan Smedley dived over for Saunders to convert.

Dalton soon hit back when after Crarey was held up, the ball moved through the hands of Harry Gordon, Elliott Stockdale and Sam Purslow before Evan Jones crossed out wide.

Dalton went ahead on 35 minutes when neat play saw Crarey go through a gap for the supporting old stager Jamie Southward to score, Crarey adding the goal for 10-6.

However, their joy was short-lived when after Brad Williamson was held short, the ball was in the hands of Saunders, who put in a scrappy kick over the line for Tom Spedding to pounce. Saunders tagged on the goal to make it 12-10 at the break.

Four minutes into the second period, Dalton were back in the lead thanks to Wilkinson’s poor ball to Jake Spedding going to ground. From the scrum, the ball moved swiftly from Gordon and Batty for Jack Gedling to score.

Dalton then extended their lead to eight points when a neat ball from Crarey sent Gordon under the posts.

Ulverston refused to lie down and came back when a long ball from ‘Dinger’ Bell found Ryan John, who scored in the corner.

From the restart, Crarey chipped the ball over the ten-yard line to regather, but was taken high by Williamson. He then kept his cool to land a 40-yard kick to extend the lead to 22-16.

Incorrect marking and back chatting proved costly for Ulverston, as Stockdale and Gordon paved the way for Gedling's second try and the touchline kick from Crarey sailed between the posts 28-16. Saunders then spoke out of turn and was dismissed.

But with five minutes left on the clock, Ulverston were back in the hunt, as Kaye touched down for Bell to convert 28-22.

This spurred on the underdogs, who mounted pressure to bring the scores level, with Rankin held up, but knock-ons by both sides brought the final whistle.

Dalton: Purslow, Jones, Batty, B.Richards, Gedling, Stockdale, Gordon, D Richards, Joe Crarey, Atkinson, Tyson, N.Park, Jack Crarey.

Interchange: Grant, L Park, Flynn, Southward.

Ulverston: Wilkinson, Rowley, J Spedding, R.John, Benson, Kaye, Saunders, Askew, Smedley, Williamson, Layfield, Hill, T Spedding.

Interchange: Akrigg, Rankin, D.John, Bell.

Mail man of the match: Joe Crarey

Referee: Nathan Johnson

Attendance: 400