Bootle have retained the Terry Clinton Memorial Trophy after a dramatic comeback against Barrow Celtic at Dalton’s Railway Meadow ground.

In blustery conditions, Celtic took the lead after 25 minutes through a Stu Thompson effort, only to be pegged back by an own goal five minutes before half-time.

With a scoreless second half, the game looked like it was heading to penalties until Hugh McParland gave Celtic a 2-1 lead with only ten minutes left on the watch.

The Newby Terrace outfit looked like they were going to see out the final moments of the match until a bad tackle in the penalty area saw Bootle awarded a penalty in the 93rd minute and with nerves of steel, Steven Pritt put away the spot kick to level the game.

With no extra time in cup competitions anymore, the game was decided by a penalty shoot-out, which was locked at 5-5 after both sides’ allotted spot kicks.

Celtic missed their sixth only for Graham Hartley to spurn the chance to win it for Bootle. Celtic missed again and it was up to Kieran Lawson who made no mistake to send the travelling fans wild.

The race for the Bargain Booze Furness Premier League took another twist on Saturday as leaders Croftlands Park lost 2-1 to third-placed Kirkby United in another game that was decided by a last-minute penalty.

Joe Kavanagh scored for Kirkby and Ryan Ireland was on target for Croftlands, but Paul Cleasby sealed the three points for Kirkby with a penalty right on full-time.

Vickerstown reserves are waiting in the wings and they kept up the pressure on Croftlands by going to Millom and beating their reserves 5-2 with goals from Max Green (2), Jack Litherland, Andy Higginson and Brody Luxon. Jordan Lehrle and Dec Evans replied for Millom.

The results mean Croftlands are still top by a three-point margin and have one game remaining. Vickerstown reserves have two games remaining, so could finish level on points. Whatever the outcome, it has been a fantastic title race.

Walney Island reserves wrapped up their season with a 2-0 defeat at Holker Old Boys reserves, who had Conor Erdis and Morgan Gwynne to thank for their efforts.

In Division One, runners-up, British Legion also finished off their campaign with a 3-1 win at Bridge United. Zak Gill (2) and Brandon Haughin were the Legion’s scorers, Ryan Barker replied for Bridge.

Champions Barrow Wanderers beat Swarthmoor Social reserves 3-2, with Jordan Wallace and Scott McDonald on target, while Rich Wilkes scored from the spot for his first goal of the season.

The Swarthmoor goals came from Graham Wilcox, who was appearing in his final game, as after 17 years and over 400 goals he has decided it’s time to hang up the boots.