WALNEY Central are out of the BARLA National Cup after losing their semi-final tie 22-12 to Thatto Heath A at Central Drive.

In a good game of flowing rugby, the Cents gave a good account of themselves. However, the the National Conference League Premier Division side's second string just had the edge on a day where Heath's first-team beat professionals North Wales Crusaders in the Challenge Cup.

The Heath looked sharp in the opening minutes, but the Cents defence held firm and it was the home side who were to take a 6-0 lead.

The always hard-working Stu Tippet made a fine break, followed by passing to Jamie Morrow and on hand to touchdown was Mike Elliott. Dave Nicholson added the goal.

However, a dropped ball by the Cents proved vital as the Heath drew level, with full-back Chris Taylor touching down for Shaun Quinn to convert and level the scores. Dec Gavin almost restored the lead for the home side, having a try ruled out.

Walney were looking quite sharp and when a high ball was put to Tippett, the full-back gathered going 40 yards upfield. Play continued and Gavin was held up over the visitors line.

Then Quinn edged the Heath ahead with a penalty goal to put the visitors into an 8-6 lead at half time.

Five minutes into the second half, Walney were back in the lead with a fine try.

Gavin took on the Heath's defence, passing to Matty Holmes who cut through the cover to slip a neat ball to Morrow who crossed the white-wash. Dave Nicholson added the goal to make it 12-8.

However, within five minutes they went behind with prop Marc Lucas powering in from 20 yards out, Quinn adding the goal 12-14.

Play flowed from end to end with both teams playing fast open rugby and the final result hanging in the balance.

That was until the 75th minute when, after sustained pressure, Quinn crossed the home line and added the kick to seal a final place for the St Helens-based side.

In National Conference League Division Two, Barrow Island lost away to Wigan St Judes 34-20.

Island were in contention after trailing 24-14 at the break, but lost Connor Pearce and Spencer Hoyland early in the second half.

Tries came from Hoyland, Peter Rimmer and Dan White with Adam Jackson adding four goals.

Askam failed to score at Fallowfield Park going down 18-0 to Shaw Cross.

Roose Pioneers went down 40-6 at Leigh East A in North West Men's League Division Three.

Corne Els crossed for the Pioneers' try on his first appearance of the season, with Glen Phillips adding the conversion.

Ulverston also lost in Division One. They went down 22-8 away to Widnes Tigers, with Jake Spedding and Johny Hutton crossing for tries.

In Division Two, Hindpool Tigers were edged out 18-16 at Leigh Miners Rangers A.