A THRILLING 80 minutes at Central Drive ended with Walney Central clinching a semi-final place in the BARLA National Cup with a 24-20 victory over National Conference League Division One side Myton.

It was nip and tuck throughout, with the final score always hanging in the balance, but a near full-strength Humberside outfit had to settle for defeat.

Myton took an early four-point lead, but once Walney went ahead on 19 minutes they were always ahead. The hosts were caught offside on three minutes leading to full-back Adam Piggot crossing out wide.

Where the floodgates to open? Myton may have thought so, but the Cents – well led by Adam Nicholson and Stu Tippett – had other thoughts and went ahead on 19 minutes after Matt Solsby had covered 50 yards to haul down winger Mike Ward, who had intercepted on his own line.

It was a drive from Nicholson which led to Jamie Ralph crossing for George Nichols to convert and when Sam Pycock raced through the home cover, Tippet’s challenge saw the centre pass to James who crossed the line only for a forward pass to be ruled.

The Cents increased their lead when Jordan Staffieri raced through several Myton defenders to send Jamie Morrow in for the try, Dave Nicholson, on for the injured Nichols added the goal.

Stand-off Kris Walker then burst through with an outrageous dummy, passing to Pycock who was held short. Pycock was then denied a four-pointer as a forward pass was ruled.

Minutes into the second half, an offload from Adam Nicholson proved crucial as Myton went upfield, only to be penalised for an infringement. Dave Nicholson’s kicked failed to find touch allowing winger James to score.

From the re-start, Joe McMullen won possession and touching down was Matty Elliott, followed by Nicholson adding the goal.

Again Myton came back with a fine try from Walker, who added the goal. A neat kick to the corner saw Solsby palm the ball into the path of Adam Nicholson loitering on the wing to score with his touchline goal sailing through the posts to make it 24-14.

From the re-start, Myton gained possession allowing Douglas to score and Walker to convert, but time was on Walney’s side for a well-earned victory and a home semi-final tie with Thatto Heath.

In NCL Division Two, Zac Steel led the way for Askam with a hat-trick of tries as the Villagers put last weeks heavy defeat at West Bowling behind them. The home side ran in six tries to defeat Crosfields 34-6 after leading 14-6 at the break and the other tries came from James Wallace, Brad Kavanagh and Kris Tyson, who added five goals.

Ulverston went down 34-28 at Latchford in the North West Men’s League, in a game which was closely fought. Their tries came from Dan Crabtree, Marc Storey, Sam Shepherd, James Porter and Matty Storey, with Connor Saunders adding four goals.