A WELL-respected rugby league and union player, cricketer and golfer in the area, Roy Richardson has died age 78.

Roy was a regarded hard-working forward in both codes before taking up the secretarial position of the Barrow & District League.

Dalton-born Roy played for his own town club before moving to Furness rugby union club, followed by him being persuaded to join a very successful Roose team in the 1960s.

Roy went to Ulverston Grammar Schoolm where he made his name as a union player for the school team while also playing junior cricket for Dalton.

He joined Furness, but switched to Roose after being sounded out by former Barrow RL director John Winward, a Roose stalwart, for several years.

“I pulled Roy in from Furness to Roose where we had a very good side in the early 60s,” Mr Winward said, adding: “He was a good, hard-working forward.

“Roy played in the Lancashire Cup-winning side when we beat Saddleworth at Oldham. He fitted in very well at Roose and when I finished as secretary of the Barrow league, Roy took over.

“He put a lot of work into his role, and formed a good top table alongside chairman Bill Proctor and treasurer John Baines. He was very keen to help others in the Barrow league.”

Close friend for over 70 years Gordon Roper, who played for Barrow in the 1960s, added: “Roy was a good all-round sportsman; rugby – both codes – cricket and golf. He was a very good administrator; a hard worker, being involved with the Barrow league for many years.

“He was also a good golfer with a handicap of 12 and played at Barrow for over 40 years. We were very close; I regarded Roy as a brother as I never had one myself. In fact, when very young we shared a pram together – our mothers were close friends.”

Outside of sport, Roy held a manager’s position for several years at Glaxo and a service takes place at St Mary’s Parish Church Dalton on Wednesday 31st October at 11-45am.

A funeral service took place on Friday of former Vickers rugby union player Andy McNichol, who was 83.

Andy was a flying winger, firstly for Furness and then for Vickers, and for several years worked the turnstiles and sold programmes at Craven Park.

Andy’s son Tony was a very good centre three-quarter for Barrow, where he played alongside his brother-in-law Tony Kay.

Outside of rugby, Andy played basketball for the Black Aces team when the sport took off in the town and was a keen crown green bowler at Vickers Sports Club too.