BARROW’S winless run stretched to five as Boreham Wood scored a late equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Meadow Park on Saturday.

Barrow had taken the lead with less than 10 minutes on the clock when John Rooney netted the games’ opener.

However, despite the lion’s share of possession and chances, Ian Evatt’s side were denied by a stunning strike from Boreham Wood’s Keiran Murtagh in the 93rd minute.

Wood manager Luke Garrard had praised Evatt’s style of play in the lead-up to the game, and the Barrow manager did not disappoint, with his side enjoying a lot of the ball.

Evatt made two changes to the team who lost to Dagenham & Redbridge, with recent loan signings Rhys Norrington-Davies and Rory Holden both coming into the eleven.

The Bluebirds’ first chance came through the impressive Josh Kay. The winger’s cross was flicked on by Luke Burgess to Holden, but his shot was held by Wood ‘keeper Ryan Huddart.

Holden then met another cross from Kay, but he could not aim his header on target, as it drifted wide.

The Wood’s best chance of the first half fell to their top scorer Joshua Umerah, who had received the ball from a weaving run by Murtagh. Umerah was through on goal in the area, but his shot was blocked over the crossbar by Dan Jones.

Tyler Smith then saw a good opportunity to take the lead go begging. The striker had met Kay’s low cross, but sent his first-time shot wide from close-range.

Barrow returned to the second half at a higher pace and Josh Kay took down a long-ball as he looked to get on the front foot. He dropped his shoulder and knocked the ball onto his right foot, but curled it inches shy of the far post.

Barrow were on top of the game, but their dominance yielded little reward. Some neat play between Kay and Norrington-Davies saw the ball crossed for Holden, but it was intercepted.

As Garrard’s side attempted to react, Balanta battled the ball from Norrington-Davies down the right-wing and he fed Ricky Shakes, but the wing-back’s low cross was claimed by Firth.

Shakes then looped in a cross for Hackett-Fairchild and he took it down with a nice touch, but he could not send his shot on target, on the turn.

With the game still level, Holden struck a fierce long-range effort from 20-yards, but Huddart held the effort. John Rooney then sent a free-kick from 25-yards over the crossbar.

Evatt had spoken recently about his side not getting the wins that their performances were warranting, and it appeared as if that was going to change. Luke Burgess had been found in the Boreham Wood area and sent a strike crashing against the crossbar. Rooney was fastest to reacted and poked home the rebound to make it 1-0 to the Bluebirds.

However, The Wood knew that the game was far from over and Luke Garrard pushed defender David Stephens up front for the remainder of the match.

His tactic worked, as the centre-back knocked down a bouncing ball to Murtagh, who thumped it on the half-volley with his left foot and into the bottom right corner to earn his side a point.

Boreham Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Umerah (Woodards 77), Murtagh, Fyfield, Hackett-Fairchild (Shaibu, 79), Balanta.

Subs not used: Balcombe, Champion, Smith.

Barrow AFC: Firth, Brown, jones, Taylor, Granite, Rooney, kay, Carroll-Burgess (Jameson, 90), Smith (Blyth, 84), Holden (Hindle, 74), Norrington-Davies.

Subs not used: Barthram, Jennings.

Attendance: 564 (62 away)

Yellow cards: Boreham Wood – Umerah, Balanta.

Referee: Carl Brook.

AFC star man: John Rooney.