ST MARY'S Hospice has paid tribute to the large number of people who ran in its name this weekend.

This year's Keswick to Barrow and Coniston to Barrow walks took place on Saturday. The 40 and 21 mile challenges encourages people to raise money for charity.

St Mary's Hospice said it was 'incredibly proud' of the people who chose it as their main beneficiary for the event.

Corporate partnerships manager Annabelle Holloway took part in the walk and although very sore as a result after, she explained how happy she was about her achievements.

“Having worked the Keswick and Coniston to Barrow walks as a support vehicle for the past three years, I had always said that I would like to take part as a walker," she said.

"I was keen to see the event from a participant’s perspective and to experience the feeling of crossing the finish line. 

"I didn’t quite realise just how hard the 21.1 miles would be and I chose a very hot year for my first attempt!"

The Mail: If they weren't running, volunteers were on the sidelines to provide much needed refreshmentsIf they weren't running, volunteers were on the sidelines to provide much needed refreshments (Image: St Mary's Hospice)

Annabelle paid tribute to colleague Heide and the St Mary's team for the support they showed on the day.

She added: "I am delighted to have raised over £250 for my wonderful hospice and I am so thankful to all of off our walkers, my colleagues, our amazing volunteers and everyone who makes the walk possible year after year.”

MKM Director Paul Curwen walked from Keswick to Barrow and his company sponsored the event. 

"[I'm] delighted to have completed the K2B again this year in incredibly challenging conditions, and proud to walk for St. Mary’s Hospice," he said.

"Not only a great cause, but a great team to be a part of - every walker brilliantly supported by volunteers along the route keeping the spirits up and keeping us fed and watered, and boy oh boy did we need that water!"

Communications co-ordinator Imani Osman-Bedding signed up for the walk before her starting her new position at the hospice.

She commented: "It was an extremely hard event - I thought after the first hour or so, this is going to be a breeze but it just got tougher and tougher.

"I'm proud to have taken part and raised funds for St Mary's Hospice."