Visitors to Cumbria have been reminded of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) as camping season approaches.

The Lake District Foundation has sent safety posters to campsites as they prepare to welcome visitors.

A key piece of advice from the foundation is to never take a barbecue into a tent, awning, caravan or motorhome.

Even a cooling barbecue gives off poisonous carbon monoxide.

Always have gas appliances in your caravan or motorhome serviced regularly.

The foundation said there are around 60 deaths from accidental CO poisoning in England and Wales every year. Around 200 people are left seriously ill, while 4,000 people are treated in hospital.

The Lake District Foundation works with gas distributor Northern Gas Networks (NGN) to raise awareness of the dangers of CO.  NGN provides the region’s rapid response team when a smell of gas is reported, or carbon monoxide is suspected.

Steve Dacre, CO innovations lead for NGN said: “CO cannot be seen, smelled, tasted or heard but it can be deadly. We’d advise anyone thinking of camping or caravanning this Easter holiday to pack an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their bag. They only cost £15 but could save your life.

“If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, or you smell gas, get into the fresh air immediately and call the National Gas Emergency Service straight away on 0800 111 999 and we can send an engineer out to you. This line is in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”

For more guidance visit