THE death of a grandmother who struggled with mental health issues was misadventure, it was concluded at an inquest.

Amanda Srivastava was found dead in a static caravan at Old Park Wood holiday park on the Holker Estate, near Grange, on October 9 of last year.

Ms Srivastava, 59, had suffered with mental health difficulties and addiction issues but was engaging with clinical services at the time of her death, the inquest at Cockermouth Coroner's Court heard today.

"Although she had suicidal thoughts and suicidal attempts in the past, I must look at the evidence at the time in question," said Kirsty Gomersal, area coroner for Cumbria.

"This was more likely to be an accidental overdose than a deliberate attempt to take her own life."

Ms Gomersal said the evidence - including the 'therapeutic' levels of drugs in her system - pointed towards this.

She accepted the pathologist's offered cause of death of 1a) aspiration pneumonia, 1b) inhalation of gastric contents and 1c) the combined toxic effect of medication - the majority of it prescribed - in her system.

Ms Gomersal said the drugs Ms Srivastava had taken - which included codeine - were forms which had a 'central nervous system depressive effect'.

She described Ms Srivastava as a 'much-loved wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend'.

She said the loss of Ms Srivastava, who was born in Liverpool and lived at Rainhill, Merseyside, at the time of her death, would be 'felt for many years, but her legacy lives on'.

The inquest had previously heard that Ms Srivastava had planned trips to Dubai and Disney World and was looking forward to watching football in Liverpool once the season began again in 2021.

Ms Gomersal said this was a sign her intention was not to take her own life.

Natalie Pickles, of Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, conducted the investigation into Ms Srivastava's treatment. She previously told the court there were missed opportunities in Ms Srivastava's care but concluded that she 'received good care'.

She cited the pandemic as the reason behind a delay in getting Ms Srivastava a consultation with a psychiatrist.

Ms Gomersal was assured the trust had put measures in place to ensure lessons had been learnt and to make sure routine assessments were undertaken within six weeks.