TWO MEN involved in a knife fight in Ambleside will be sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court next month.

Antonio Da Silva, of Old Norse, Compston Street, Ambleside, and William Metcalfe, of Morley Avenue, Blackburn, both pleaded guilty to handling a blade in a public place without good reason or lawful authority at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

Da Silva, 38, and Metcalfe, 22, were both involved in an incident which took place on July 14, 2020.

At around 3.30am, Cumbria police, were called to Da Silva’s address to initial reports of a domestic incident between the 38-year-old and Metcalfe.

The court heard that video footage showed Da Silva leaving his Ambleside flat in possession of a blue knife and was shouting, making threats towards Metcalfe and his mother.

Da Silva, who has five previous convictions and seven offences, was reported to have said: “I will stab you. I will kill you. I am going to kill you, you robbed my coke.”

The court heard that Metcalfe’s mother had her arm slashed by Da Silva.

Metcalfe’s defence solicitor, Maureen Fawcett, explained that the 22-year-old had picked up a knife to protect his mother.

Ms Fawcett said: “This is a man who is 22-years-old and has no previous convictions. The other male was the aggressor and Mr Metcalfe was only protecting his mother. You will see from his interviews that he was concerned about the safety of himself and his mother. I know Mr Metcalfe is very mindful to get this dealt with today. He doesn’t want this to drag on and just take his punishment.”

Reports from the attending officers, PC Hayes and PC Ellis, confirmed that Metcalfe was seen on King Street, Ambleside, with no shirt on and holding a knife in his hand.

The court heard that Metcalfe immediately dropped the knife when PC Ellis drew a Taser on the young man.

PC Hayes said Metcalfe remained agitated for some time and had been drinking, but was compliant throughout.

Metcalfe told the police officers: “He (Da Silva) stabbed my mum and I took it (knife) off him otherwise he would have killed her.”

Both men will be sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court on June 11.