BELOW is a list of the latest court cases heard in south Cumbria:

- A MAN shouted expletives at his ex-girlfriend after blocking her path while driving, a court heard.

Rafal Lesnierowski, of Lord Street, pulled up next to his ex-partner Emma Wilkins at the traffic lights on Abbey Road.

He then pulled up in front of her, got out and shouted expletives at her, causing her distress, the court was told.

The 34-year-old admitted charges of driving without due care and attention and causing distress as a result of threatening behaviour.

Prosecution lawyer Lee Dacre set out the complainant’s side of the events dating back to December 20, 2020.

He said there was a relationship breakdown after five years between the pair at the start of 2020.

“She was with her new partner driving along the road outside the Nan Tait Centre on Abbey Road,” Mr Dacre said.

“She said she was stationary at the lights when he pulled up next to her.

“Her account stated that Rafal pulled up in front of the car and he got out and came up to the driver’s side of the car and shouted abuse.”

The complainant's account described how when they drove on, he slammed on his brakes, forcing her to take evasive action.

Then when she had turned off down to Ainslie Street he came from the other end and was driving on their side of the road, and only pulled away at the last minute, the court was told.

The latter was denied by the defendant as well as him using expletives. His account claimed he called her ‘a fat rat’.

The bench at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court retired to decide whether the disputed matters would impact on sentencing, but they decided it did not so the case continued.

Mr Dacre added: “The complainant has said that the incident has left her feeling anxious and nervous, and she feels vulnerable when out on her own.”

Mitigating, defence solicitor Karen Templeton explained the relationship between the two had broken down in January after five years and that it did not end well.

“This meeting was by chance and was the first time he had come across her,” Ms Templeton said.

“His emotions got the better of him.

“This is something he regrets and he is sorry for what has happened.”

She urged the bench not to take Mr Lesnierowski’s driving licence as he needed it to work.

The chair of the bench imposed a four-week curfew requiring him to be at his address between 6pm and 6am and fined him £400.

With the addition of a victim surcharge of £95 and costs of £85, the total he had to pay was £580.

- A MAN from Barrow has been fined for assaulting a woman.

Steven Johnson, 35, of Ramsden Street, admitted assaulting Rachael Higgins by beating her on January 10 when he appeared at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court was told.

He was fined £392 and had to pay a £39 surcharge to fund victim services as well as costs of £85 to the Crown Prosecution Service.

- A MAN has been fined for driving without insurance on the A590 near Lindale.

Lyndon John Tremeer, 47, of Cribden Street, Rawtenstall, admitted to driving when no policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks was in force on May 28, 2019.

Tremeer was fined £400 by South Cumbria Magistrates' Court on February 18 and ordered to pay costs to the Crown Prosecution Service of £85 and a £40 surcharge victim services.

This brings the total he had to pay up to £525.

He was also banned from having a driving licence for six months.

- A MAN from Barrow has been given a curfew for committing assault and sending grossly offensive messages, a court has heard.

Nathaniel Davis, 25, of Church Street, admitted assaulting Paul Roketzky by beating him and sending an electronic communications network message that was grossly offensive on January 18 in Barrow, South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court was told.

Davis was also charged with breaching a community order which was issued by the court on September 8, 2020 for sending offensive messages via electronic communications last May 22 and June 10 in Barrow.

Davis was also charged with sending a grossly offensive Facebook message but that was withdrawn in favour of the other offences committed on January 18.

A curfew was put in place by the court on February 15 requiring Davis to remain at his home address between 7pm and 7am every night for 12 weeks.

He was also required to undertake 150 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months.

Costs to be paid to the Crown Prosecution Service came to £85 and he has to pay a £95 surcharge to fund victim services. The total to be paid came to £180 and will be deducted from his benefits.

- A WOMAN has been fined for possessing a drug.

Amanda Sarah Jayne Cooke admitted that she had in her possession a quantity of cannabis in Kendal on December 15.

Cooke, of Kent Street in Barrow, pleaded guilty to to the charge when she appeared at South Cumbria Magistrates' Court.

The 48-year-old was told to pay a £60 fine, a £34 victim surcharge and costs of £85 for bringing the case to court.

- A TEENAGE driver who threw a car jack out of his window at another motorist in a road rage incident has been told he could face up to seven years in prison.

Toby Lee O’Neil followed another motorist out of Dalton and onto the A590 angered by an incident in the town, a court has heard.

He then overtook the other driver and launched the car jack from his window.

It missed the driver and any other vehicles but could have caused serious injury, magistrates were told.

The 19-year-old, of Low White Close in Barrow, pleaded guilty to causing danger to road users and driving with no insurance when he appeared at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court.

He is due to be sentenced at Preston Crown Court after magistrates heard the offence carried a maximum sentence of seven years.

Prosecutor George Shelley said it happened on July 19.

“This is effectively a road rage incident,” he said.

“There was a verbal disagreement over a vehicle manoeuvre.

“The defendant has followed the motorist and when leaving the other driver has realised he is being followed onto the A590.

“The defendant has then overtaken him and thrown a car jack out the window.

“It landed on the carriageway, missing any vehicles, and didn’t cause any damage to property.

“However it caused danger to other road users.

“It could’ve been more serious had the jack made contact with a vehicle.”

Defence solicitor Michael Graham argued for the case to be sent to the crown court, saying: “Who knows what could’ve happened?”

The court heard that road rage incident are usually followed by a custodial sentence.

Chair of the bench Stephen Sim said: “We have considered this quite seriously and we have taken this as a road rage incident.

“You launched a missile so I feel our sentencing powers are insufficient.”

Magistrates sent the case to the crown court, where O’Neil is due to appear on April 12 to be sentenced.

He has been bailed unconditionally until then.