A MAN who discovered a bug in a McDonald's chicken wrap said he is unlikely to ever return to the fast-food chain.

The Barrow man said he was ‘shocked’ when he bought a chicken wrap from a restaurant only to find an extra bit of protein in his food.

He said he was ‘in disbelief’ when he noticed there was an insect in the hot Cajun wrap he had just bought from the store in Dalton Road.

He said: “I didn’t know what to think.

“I couldn’t believe it.”

He said he flagged up the issue with staff at the restaurant and they offered him a full refund.

Asked if the experience had put him off going in to McDonald's in the future, he said: “I probably wouldn’t go back again after what happened.”

This comes just a few days after a McDonald’s customer in Hertfordshire claimed he discovered maggots on the lid of his drink after buying a meal at a local branch of the popular restaurant.

The customer filmed what appeared to be one maggot stretching across the lip of the drink whilst another appears to curl up in a little ball, very close to the straw.

This is also not the first time someone in Barrow has found a nasty surprise with insects in their food.

Another Barrow man was disgusted when he discovered maggots embedded in a piece of broccoli bought from Aldi.

Ashley Holroyd described in September his horror when he found two maggots hiding in the head of the broccoli whilst he was chopping up the vegetable to eat for his tea.

A McDonald’s spokeswoman said: “We are sorry to hear about this customer’s experience.

“Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections.

“We are disappointed that on this occasion we have fallen short of the high standards that we set ourselves.

“When the matter was brought to the attention of the restaurant, the customer was given a full refund and offered a replacement order which he declined.”