A FAMILY has been left devastated after their beloved pet dog died after accidentally swallowing toxic chemicals.

Mark Fitzpatrick, from Glenridding Drive in Barrow, was left ‘heartbroken’ after his two-year-old springer spaniel, Dukey, ingested a poisonous substance resulting in his death.

The 32-year-old was at work when he received a phone call saying his two dogs were ‘shaking’ and ‘fitting uncontrollably’.

The Mail:

After an examination, veterinarians confirmed the canines had swallowed a poisonous substance known as Permethrin contained in medication and insecticide.

Mr Fitzpatrick said he believed chemicals used in one of his neighbours’ gardens, understood to have been used to remove a wasps’ nest, were to blame.

He said: “The vet said Dukey’s symptoms were the equivalent of running 15 marathons.

“Fortunately, Molly hadn’t had as much so her symptoms were less severe but she may still experience long-term problems.”

Mr Fitzpatrick said Dukey ‘touched the heart of everyone he knew.’

He said: “I’ve been absolutely flooded with messages since his death.

“It’s devastating - he had his whole life ahead of him.

“He was like my shadow following me around the house and now there’s a big, gaping hole where he was.”

Mr Fitzpatrick, who has a nine-year-old daughter, Darcey, and a two-year-old son, Wyatt, said the family are ‘absolutely devastated.’

“My daughter can’t stop crying, it’s hit us all hard”, he said.

“Dukey was such a loveable rogue, we’ll all miss him so much.”

In light of the incident, Mr Fitzpatrick is appealing to fellow dog-owners to remain vigilant of what their pets are consuming.

He said: “I had no idea this substance caused so much harm to animals.

“It’s not just dogs either, the toxin is very poisonous to cats and can affect humans too.

“Other pet-owners should be mindful and ask the right questions, it can happen to anyone.”

The Mail:

Mr Fitzpatrick also thanked the swift efforts of Grove Vets in Barrow and pest control company, Pied Piper, who removed the remaining toxic substance laid out by another company.

He said: “The vets were amazing and the Pied Piper went out of their way to clean the up the area free of charge.”

The Mail:

A spokeswoman for RSPCA in Barrow said: “If anyone suspects that their dog has been poisoned they must contact a vet for advice immediately.

“If possible and safe to do so, they should take along what they think has harmed them.

“Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after an animal has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

“The signs of poisoning can include one, or several, of the following: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing.”