TWO people were taken to hospital after a fire in a flat kitchen today.

Emergency services were called to Ewan Close, Barrow, at around 12.30pm following a blaze which firefighters say was caused by a chip pan fire.

Three fire engines from Barrow, Ulverston and Walney attended the scene along with police.

Crews using breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and ventilated the ground floor flat. 

Two people were taken to hospital in an ambulance, believed to be suffering from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters said the people inside the flat were rescued by members of the public.

It was the second major fire in south Cumbria today.

Firefighters from Windermere were among those called to a building fire in Kendal.

It happened at house in Lound Road. A woman was found at the property with serious injuries which are not thought to be life threatening.

She was taken to hospital by air ambulance which had landed at nearby Kirkbie Kendal School.

The road was closed for some time, causing tailbacks and buses, but was re-opened at 12.50pm.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue issued advice to chip pan owners, saying: “The best way to avoid chip pan fires is not to have a chip pan.

“Think about buying a deep fat fryer with a thermostatic control or try oven chips.”