DISTINGTON overcame the superstition of ‘13 unlucky for some’ as they registered their 13th successive win of the Cumbria League season with a 32-20 victory over Walney Central at Central Drive.

The West Cumbrians remain unbeaten but were pushed all the way by a Walney side lacking several regulars. However Distington are a class side. They play attractive rugby, let the ball do the work and in defence they gather like a swarm of bees.

Walney never gave up the chase. They battled away with determination only to run out of steam in the closing minutes as Distington eased home with two tries in the final eight minutes.

Walney were off to a flier, stunning the leaders with a ten point burst inside the first nine minutes. Carl McBain, who was a tower of strength up front for Cents, made good ground only to be tackled ten yards out.

From the play the ball the alert Matty Elliott went across the defence to prise open a gap to touch down, Connor Pearce adding the goal.

On nine minutes Elliott’s brother Mike was touching down. Walney took play to the visitors’ line from where a neat cross kick from Brad Nicholls foxed the cover and in like a flash was Elliott to gather and touch down.

Distington slowly came into the frame but it was Walney who almost added to their tally only for Nicholls to knock-on three yards out after good work from Matty Elliott and McBain. A counter-attack followed and a high kick from Scott George saw Stu Tippett lose the ball. The pressure mounted with loose forward Shaun Sutton going close. But there was no stopping full-back Steve Conway who came nicely onto the ball from George to touch down, Clayton Sutton adding the goal for 10-6.

This spurred on the visitors with the dangerous half-back pairing of George and Sutton dictating as they sent Grant Dryden into space but the cover got back to haul him down.

Walney came back with good play taking them upfield through McBain who parted to Nicholls, but his pass to Jack Rushton went into touch. On 21 minutes Distington went ahead when a huge gap appeared for Liam Tunstall to plunge over the line. Sutton added the conversion for 12-10. And when Sutton made a great run down the touchline Mike Elliott raced back to bring him down.

From the play-the-ball swift handling almost produced a try but a long pass from Shaun Adams saw winger Ryan Hodgson knock-on with the line open.

And when George followed up his own high kick, Staffieri was on hand to smother him in the tackle.

Walney regained the lead three minutes into the second half with good play taking them deep into Distington territory from where Mike Backhouse jinked his way around Conway to score out wide. Nicholls’ kick went in off the post for 16-12.

Not to be outdone Distington were soon back in the lead. Again swift handling across the field saw the ball in the hands of Sutton whose pace saw him race over in the corner. He he also tagged on the goal.

It took only a further three minutes for the team from the west of the county to go six points clear and it was George with another neat cross kick that saw the home defence at sixes and sevens and in nipped Steve Clark to gather and touch down.

Walney refused to lie down as they fought hard to reduce the deficit and on 65 minutes they trailed by only two points when a long pass from Nicholls went into the arms of Backhouse who dived over the line. Nicholls’ kick at goal didn’t get enough height and sailed low across the posts. But at 22-20 it was all to play for.

However in the closing stages Distington grew stronger and on 72 minutes it was that man George with another majestic cross-field kick that enabled Sutton to swoop and score.

He also tagged on the goal, and to round off the scoring Greg Bedford pulled away from a tired defence to go in at the corner.

In the second division of the National Conference Askam pulled off a mighty victory leap-frogging Leigh East into second place with a 40-16 win.

Well led by Mark Tyson, the Villagers hit top note in a game described by Barrow And Distict League PRO Jeff Coward as one of the best Askam displays for several years.

Tries came from Ben Lewney 2, Cameron Cooper, Russ Bolton and one each from the Butlers, Tom and Jamie. Adam Jackson slotted over five conversions plus two penalty goals. In the first division Millom went down 42-28 At East Leeds.

Roose Pioneers were on the wrong end of a hefty Cumbria League scoreline at Maryport losing 56-24. Tries came from Adam Batty, 2, Dominic Coulson and Brad Morrow with Steve Perry adding four goals. Barrow Island’s home game with Wath Brow was called off due to Brow lacking in numbers.