WALNEY’S strength and experience proved far too much for their young visitors and they finally got their Cumbria League challenge off the ground with a convincing nine-try spree.

Mike Whitehead, one of five former Barrow Raiders in their line-up, got the ball rolling with the opening try after 10 minutes, and from then on there was never any doubt about the result.

Ellenborough’s lightweight defence had no answer to the powerful running of props Dave Warne and Adam Nicholson in a first half that produced five of Cents' tries.

It was a Warne break that set up Jamie Morrow in the 14th minute, and Rangers were restricted to the occasional visit into Walney territory, although they rarely threatened to cross the home line.

Two tries in the space of three minutes confirmed the home side's grip on the game.

Rangers made a complete hash of trying to defend a Brad Nicholls kick and Jordan Staffieri pounced for a gift touchdown. Two minutes later, full-back Stu Tippett joined the attack to finish off a three-man move that tore the Ellenborough defence apart.

Five minutes before the break, Dave Nicholson completed the first-half lesson with Walney’s fifth try and, with goals from Morrow and Staffieri making up the total, Cents led 24-0 at half-time.

The second half was little more than a procession towards the Ellenborough line, and Whitehead forced his way over for his second try in the 44th minute, which Nicholson converted.

Four minutes later, Nicholls reached over through a crowd of tacklers and again Nicholson added the extra points.

The highlight try of the day came when winger Tyler Smith finished off the best handling move of the game on 52 minutes.

Tippett’s second of the afternoon – a typical solo effort from the strong-running full-back – rounded off the scoring and completed Cents’ first Cumbria League win of the season.

Ulverston gave reigning champions Distington a run for their money at Dragley Beck, before being pipped 25-20.

Tries from Matt Dean (2), Johnny Hutton and Steve O’Connor, plus two Connor Saunders goals, kept Ulverston in touch after they trailed 14-8 at the break.

Shaun Sutton, Scott George, Jack Penrice, Mick Cook and Ben Ritchie crossed for the visitors.

It was a bleak weekend for local teams in the National Conference League as all three came away empty-handed.

The battle of the free-scorers in Division Two produced a glut of points, but Askam found 30 were not quite enough as the Villagers went down 33-30 to leaders Crosfields – despite outscoring their visitors six tries to five.

Jake Spedding, Ben Lewney, Gary Bolton and Tom Wilkinson crossed to put Askam into a 20-0 lead, with Tom Hopkins added another for a 26-6 interval advantage.

But it was Crosfield who dominated the second half – Russ Bolton scoring in the last minute for Askam for their only points.

Millom’s trip to Saddleworth ended in a disappointing 30-0 defeat, leaving the Woollybacks still without a point on their travels.

In Division Three, Barrow Island are still adjusting to life in their new surroundings and they found Dewsbury Moor Maroons too hot to handle as they suffered a 44-22 loss. Jack Sutherland (2), Tez Nueto and Sam Jones.

Hindpool Tigers travelled to Widnes in North West Men’s Division One, but they also came home without any reward, going down 38-22 to Halton Farnworth Hornets.

In the Barrow and District League, Roose Pioneers suffered their first defeat since their return to the competition from the Cumbria League when they were beaten 37-28 by Askam A.

Brad Jackson led the Askam spree with a 25-point haul (two tries, eight goals and a drop goal), with Luke Duncals (2) and Luke McIntee completing the scoring.

Roose managed to match Askam try for try, scoring five through Danny Tyson, Adam Batty, Stan Sharp, Dylan Taru and Sam Doyle. Pioneers man-of-the-match Batty kicked four goals.

Only one point separated the sides in the All-Island derby, with Barrow Island A getting the better of Walney A by 19-18.