Walney Cents 14 Dalton 12

WALNEY Cents booked a semi-final place in the Barton Townley Cup, but were pushed all the way by a young and enthusiastic Dalton side.

Both sides were missing key players but it was a game that kept the spectators on their toes on a sunny Walney Island, with the final result always in the balance.

Overall it was the Kelland Park side who played the more attractive rugby. But they just fell short, with a late penalty attempt from Ryan Johnston failing to hit the target, a kick which could have sent the tie into golden point extra-time.

Dalton took the game to the Cents, with Johnston being held short as the tackles ran out.

A counter-attack paid off for the home side, with the move sweeping downfield for Stu Tippett to touch down for an unconverted try against his former club.

Dalton came back through a neat Joe Crarey break, but Tippett was on hand to avert further danger with the tackle.

A high ball from Johnston tested Tippett who gathered, only to infringe in the tackle, but nothing materialised.

Walney worked their way downfield through George Nicholls.

He fed Luke Harrison who in turn parted to Matt Solsby who lost the ball.

Dalton went close when a chip through the home cover saw Rushton boot the ball dead as Ross Clayton was about to get his hand on the ball.

More pressure saw Joe Crarey take the ball to the home line, but a long ball outwide went into the arms of James Finch.

Minutes later Finch was penalised for a foul in the tackle setting up a Dalton raid. Paisley and Johnston took play deep into Walney territory only for Harri Brown to lose the ball three yards out.

Walney survived to stretch their lead when Adam Nicholson made a fine break for Ethan Furness to score and Nicholls to convert.

It was Nicholson who set up another raid when he burst through and covered 40 yards before Brown and Johnston hauled him down.

Tippett carried on the good work to set up Jake Devereaux to touch down and make it 14-0.

Dalton gathered from the restart through Eddie Tyson and were only inches short from scoring when Clayton was brought down.

As half-time approached, Dalton hit back with a converted try.

A sweeping attack crossfield involving Paisley and Brad Richards enabled Sam Purslow to touch down. Johnston’s touchline kick went in off the post for 14-6.

Walney started the second half on the attack, but a raid broke down when Nicholls knocked-on.

It was 62 minutes before further points went on the board.

Johnston took the ball to the home line, from where Joe Crarey darted over for Johnston to convert and make it 14-12 – game on.

Both teams worked hard to add more points but defences stood firm.

Walney escaped on 75 minutes when Johnston went for goal following a tap penalty. However, his 40-yard kick failed to hit the target.

Walney then applied the pressure with Tippett and Josh McBain both being held up over the line as the seconds ticked down to 80 minutes.

Millom eased through with a 34-18 victory over Ulverston at Devonshire Road after leading 22-6 at the break.

Tries for the Woollybacks came from Ross Brookes, Tyler Lancaster, Ethan Kelly, Noah Robinson, Hanley Dawson and Chris Warren, with five goals from Lee Postlethwaite.

Tries for Ulverston came from Liam Whinfield, Johny Hutton and Eric Hall, with three goals from Connor Saunders.