ULVERSTON edged Cumbria League rivals Walney Central in a thrilling encounter at Dragley Beck.

Lively half-back Connor Saunders was the architect of Central's downfall when his lightning break eight minutes from time set up a try for Adam Mills to bring the scores level, then he struck a touchline conversion to claim victory.

The defeat puts a huge dent in Walney's attempt to finish second in the table ahead of Barrow Island, who have a game in hand.

Walney started like a house on fire with Jordan Staffieri – carrying on his try-scoring feat from Saturday when he crossed for a hat-trick of tries against Wath Brow – went over for a quick brace.

But his sin-binning late in the game along with Mike Whitehead never helped the Cents who at that stage were hanging onto a four point lead.

Ulverston took the game to the Cents from the off with a fine break from Joel Smith but the hooker's pass went into the arms of a Cents player.

Another raid saw Smith and Saunders link with the ball going to Liam Saunders who lost possession five yards out.

But when Ulverston were caught offside they were punished when Brad Nicholls found Staffieri in support to touchdown.

Two minutes later it was 10-0 when Liam Finch broke before parting to Whitehead who sent Staffieri racing over, with Nicholls tagging on the extras.

Ulverston came back with Marc Dixon sending Jake Spedding downfield, but he was impeded in the tackle. From the tap, the ball moved sharply and Joe Hambley crashed over in the corner taking the flag with him.

Minutes later at the other end Stu Tippett was held up while a counter-attack saw Smith outfox the Walney cover to dart through and score, Saunders adding the extras to bring the scores level at 10-10.

Walney soon regained the lead when Jake Deveraux was on hand to touchdown following a combined move involving Finch and Jamie Morrow, with Nicholls again on target.

The second half was only three minutes old when Marc Saunders broke clear sending brother Connor to within a foot of the line.

Two tackles later Connor put in a high kick which Nicholls to dropped and Jake Spedding swooped and score, with Saunders adding the goal for 16-16 and all to play for.

Mike Backhouse did cross outwide for Cents only for a forward pass to be ruled in the build up, but there was no stopping Nicholls who went in at the other corner, but was later off target with his kick.

Whitehead was sent to the bin, while Ulverston's Duane 'Dinger' Bell crashed over, only to drop the ball. Staffieri joined Whitehead but Walney pressed and only a great Connor Saunders try-saving tackle denied Tippett.

Ulverston came back, with Mills crashing over and Saunders kept his nerve to send over the winning conversion.