ULVERSTON hung on for a point in dramatic closing minutes at Dragley Beck as a flourish of points from visitors Seaton almost snatched Cumbria League victory.

The home side were coasting at 30-12 with five minutes left on the clock, but a 14-man Seaton squad hit them with a triple whammy of tries and conversions to level at 30-30.

Ulverston could have pulled the game out of the bag as they rose highest to the kick-off after the visitors’ final try.

Adam Mills beat the Seaton players to gather and head for the try-line. He was halted short and, from the play-the-ball, Marc Dixon tried to prise open a gap, only to lose possession in the tackle and the final whistle brought to a close to those cliff-hanging final moments.

All credit goes to the West Cumbrians, who travelled with only 14 players – many of them youngsters – and they took the lead on five minutes when Tom Curwen forced his way over for Keiron Meuse to convert.

Ulverston almost responded when Jamie Sandham covered 50 yards before being forced into touch by visiting full-back.

However, Sandham was soon on the scoresheet when, after Marc Storey had stabbed a kick through the cover, two defenders hesitated and, as the ball rolled over the line, Sandham followed up to touchdown. Connor Saunders tagged on the goal for 6-6.

Play was end-to-end and midway through the half Seaton were back in front when, after old head Alan McGlasson had taken play deep, a neat kick to the corner allowed winger Lewis Mason to swoop and touchdown in the corner for Meuse to convert.

Ulverston worked hard for points, going close through Joel Smith, who knocked on with the line open after Mills had made good yards.

The same duo did linked minutes later when another forceful run from Mills saw him get the ball out of the tackle and Smith was on his shoulder to gather and romp over. Saunders added the goal and it was all-square at 12-12 on 26 minutes.

Smith, playing an important role at dummy half, edged the home side ahead with his second try of the afternoon after a good run from Steve O'Connor.

The ball moved to Liam Saunders, who drove deep to the Seaton line only to be held short. The alert Smith, from the play the ball, dummied his way through the narrowest of gaps to touchdown. Saunders added the extra two.

Then came the try of the game to close the first period.

Sam Shepherd was having a strong game up front and broke from inside his own half. Sandham took up the running, parting to Connor Saunders, who returned the ball to Sandham. To round-off a fine attack, Saunders again supported Sandham to race over and convert for a 24-12 lead.

Seaton came out strong in the opening minutes of the second half, putting the home defence under pressure. But they stayed firm, turning defence into attack with another good run from Shepherd, who had Mills in support and he touched down. Saunders tagged on the goal for 30-12 with 15 minutes to play.

However, it all went wrong for the home side with five minutes remaining – the players deciding that at five to four in the afternoon it was time for bed.

Seaton seized the opportunity and hit back, with McGlasson tearing through the defence to send Jordan Pitt over the whitewash, with Meuse adding the goal.

Two minutes later, big prop McGlasson again shattered the home cover as he raced in from 30 yards for Meuse to convert 30-24 for what looked like a couple of consolation tries. There was more drama as Seaton took a scrum inside their own half. Winger Mason burst through a couple of defenders and, with no-one home, to the delight of his fellow players he plonked the ball down between the posts. Meuse kept his cool and slotted over the goal to level at 30-30.

There was just time to restart for Ulverston and keep the visitors penned in their own half. However, it was Mills who was first to the kick-off, making ground only for Seaton to hold out for a well-earned point.

In National Conference Division One, Millom pulled out all the stops for a 35-22 home win over Ince Rosebridge after leading 12-10 at the break.

Tries came from Marcus O'Brien (2), Ethan Kelly, Tom Sibley, Ian Armstrong and Paul Carter, with Adam Kelly adding two conversions plus a drop goal. Lee Postlethwaite chipped in with three goals.

Askam crashed to a 32-6 defeat at in-form team Blackbrook in Division One.

On Wednesday at Craven Park, a Barrow and District side will take on the Furness Raiders academy side (kick-off 7.30pm).