BARROW Island ran out 44-18 winners over Roose Pioneers at Redwaters in the Cumbria League.

The game was preceded by a minute’s silence in memory of former Holker Pioneers junior player Willie Richardson, who passed away last week.

There was also a minute’s applause for Huddersfield Giants Academy player Ronan Costello, who died after being injured in a game against Salford.

Although the margin was 26 points, credit goes to Pioneers for not throwing in the towel as they battled away until the final whistle.

Island were up and running early with a try inside five minutes as Andy Cairns prised open a gap to send Matt Sayle over the line. He also converted.

A second raid saw the scoreline doubled as Richard Chatfield and Ian Irvine combined to send Luke Creswell to the line. He was hauled down by three defenders, however, from the play the ball, Chatfield touched down. Sayle tagged on the goal.

Pioneers came slowly into the frame with good work from Corne Els and Brad Morrow taking play to the Island line.

Adam Batty tried to force his way over and, when George Smith put in a neat kick, Sam Jones was on hand to clear his line.

On 15 minutes, the home side were rewarded when swift handling involving Morrow, Batty and Smith enabled Ade White to crash over. Steve Perry added the goal for 12-6.

The 12-point advantage was soon restored as Irvine made a telling break before chipping ahead. The ball evaded the Pioneers defence and Cairns swooped to score, with Sayle tagging on the extra two.

Another raid just failed to end with a touchdown for the Island as several players handled only for the hard-working Joe Spencely to lose the ball near the line.

He was soon to make amends when, after Morrow and Jack Torkington had hauled down Cresswell, he crossed the whitewash. Sayle added the goal for 24-6.

Pioneers came back strongly as Dan Sharp sent Smith to the posts, from where Batty put in a towering kick, though the safe hands of Creswell gathered to clear his line.

On 33 minutes, swift hands saw Attard in at the corner, with Sayle missing out with the conversion.

Again Pioneers came back well as Els drove hard upfield, then neat inter-passing between Batty and Smith ended with Smith losing the ball as the half closed.

Roose took the game to the Island after the break, with Sharp sending Els into Island territory, from where Batty jinked through the cover. White was on his shoulder to touch down and Perry added the goal to make it 28-12.

The visitors responded when good play across field enabled Irvine to send Parkinson crashing over.

A further Island score came with a brilliant finish from Attard, the winger rising high to an Irvine kick to juggle and touch down. Sayle converted.

Irvine then put in another high ball, only for Scott Lancaster to take and clear his line.

On 65 minutes, Smith fed Dan White, who pulled clear in midfield and Batty was on his shoulder to score. Pery goaled for 38-18.

To round-off the scoring, Jones raced 70 yards downfield, but when apprehended by Torkington he sent the ball inside to the classy Cresswell, who crossed the line. Sayle closed the scoring with the goal.

Walney Central were out of luck in the Cumbria League at Wath Brow Hornets, with the Brow’s second string winning 32-6. Jamie Morrow crossed for the only Cents try, goaled by Brad Nicholls.

Ulverston were 30-28 winners at Maryport, coming back from 20-6 down in what coach Phil Atkinson described as one of the best displays in the last 18 months.

Tries came from Matt Dean, Matt Storey, Joel Smith, Connor Saunders and Marc Storey, with Saunders adding four goals and Marc Storey one.