ROOSE Pioneers recorded their second win of the season in defeating Hensingham 28-22 at Redwaters gaining revenge for a narrow defeat last Saturday in west Cumbria.

It was nip and tuck throughout with the final scoreline always hanging in the balance with Pioneers defending their line with true grit in the final minutes.

The home side were off to a flyer, going ahead in the third minute when Steve Perry parted to Adam Batty and his long ball out wide went into the arms of Alex Brown who crossed in the corner with ease, Perry landing a touchline goal 6-0.

On Hensingham’s first raid Ryan Corbett – who went onto register a hat-trick of tries – was hauled down a foot from the line. Pioneers counterattacked through good play from Daryll Archer and Batty which resulted in Archer being tackled short of the visitors’ line.

Sixteen minutes on the clock Pioneers doubled their score when Archer caught the Hensingham defence napping to go in from a play the ball, Perry tagging on the goal 12-0. The visitors came back strong to register their first points, hard working hooker Sean Dixon found Corbett on his shoulder and he crashed over for Todd Woods to convert 12-6.

It then took a fine tackle from Ade White to prevent Callum Tunstall going in at the corner the Pioneers man sending him crashing into touch on the flag. Both lines came under pressure and it as Pioneers who were to go 12 point ahead on 36 minutes, Mark Bown made a neat break and from the play the ball Perry’s long pass found Batty who sliced through the cover to score, Perry adding the extra two points 18-6 at half time.

The second half was barely two minutes old when the visitors hit back through Corbett who crossed from close range, Woods adding the goal 1812. This score was shortlived as Ade and Dan White took play deep for Brown to cross outwide 22-12.

Play went from one end of the field to the other as lines came under pressure and it was former Whitehaven packman Howard Hill who went in from close range, Woods adding the goal 22-18.

Corne Ells was having a strong game for the home side with his hard running but it was in defence that Pioneers came good when Danny Doherty was held up over the line while full back Reigan Telford did cross but a forward pass was ruled in the build up.

On 62 minutes Pioneers went 10 points clear with Ade White racing over after good work from Archer and Batty, two extra points from the boot of Perry 28-18. Hensingham refused to give up the chase responding with Brown touching down to complete his hattrick 28-22.

In the National Conference Division Two Askam came back with a fine second half display to defeat Wigan St Judes away from home 30-26. The Judes were ahead 24-6 at the break but it was the Villagers who came up trumps in the second half. Tries came from Russ Bolton (2), Ben Lewney, Jamie Butler and Gary Bolton with Adam Jackson adding four conversions and a penalty goal.

Two late converted tries killed off any hopes of Millom registering a home win over Oulton Rangers who took the points with a 32-18 victory. The Woolybacks trailed 20-6 hitting back to come within two points at 18-20 only for the Wakefield side to run in those converted tries on 72 and 76 minutes. Tries for Millom came from Ross Brooks, Marcus O’Brien and Paul Carter with Adam Kelly adding three goals.

Barrow Island went on the rampage winning 62-12 at Wath Brow A after leading 32-0 at the break. Tries came via Sam Jones a hat-trick, Richard Chatfield, Blain Marwood, Jack Sutherland, Sam Attard, Dan White, Joe Spencley, Perry Singleton, Chris Burns and Ian Irvine with Ryan Clegg adding eight goals with one from Sutherland.