Cumbria Under-19s 32 Scotland Under-19s 28

BEN Robinson was the toast of Cumbria as the youngster helped the county pull off an amazing victory over Scotland at Craven Park.

The Maryport flyer swept in to touchdown on four occasions as the home side bounced back in style from trailing 22-0 after just 23 minutes.

The Cumbrians came out of their shell to run in 32 unanswered points, though the great comeback was almost spoiled in the closing minutes.

Askam’s Grady Slater was sin-binned two minutes into added time and, from the resulting tap penalty, Scotland moved the ball sharply to score a converted try in the opposite corner to reduce the deficit to four points.

Then, with only seconds remaining and following a tap penalty inside their own half, hooker Luke Walters was bundled into touch on the flag as he tried to touchdown.

Cumbria breathed a sigh of relief, but it would have been an injustice if they had been denied the win.

The home side were slow out of the blocks, as a strong and big Scotland side took the game to their hosts.

The Bravehearts played expansive rugby to go ahead on seven minutes through prop and skipper Toby Williams, who forced his way over despite the attention of five defenders. Sam Conway added the goal for 6-0.

Four minutes later and the scoreline doubled as a high ball from Conway saw full-back home Liam Hunsdale hesitate to gather, resulting in centre Murray Mitchell touching down. Conway again tagged on the extra two.

Scotland lost winger Gavin McClure with a hand injury and within a minute of replacing him substitute Matthew McHane gathered a loose ball to race in from 55 yards and make it 16-0.

Cumbria hardly had ball in hand and were chasing shadows, going further behind on 23 minutes as Williams barged his way over for his second. Finn Hutchinson added the goal for 22-0 and the rout was on.

A rare home attack on 28 minutes paid off as Blain Marwood was held short and, from the play the ball, swift handling across the park saw prop Aiden Coulthard in at the corner. Dalton’s Ryan Johnston kicked a touchline goal to close the gap to 22-6 and there was a little hope on the horizon.

As half-time approached, Cumbria saw a golden chance go begging. They raided well from deep, only for the pass from Jack Gordon to go behind Dalton winger Ross Clayton and into touch.

Whatever went on behind closed doors at the break certainly paid dividends for the hosts.

Within three minutes of the half starting, Scotland were caught offside close to their own line, allowing Johnston to dive over from the tap penalty. He failed to convert but it was now 22-10. Five minutes later, Johnston’s long ball saw Robinson sweep in at the corner, taking the flag with him for 22-14.

With another four minutes on the clock it was a rampant Cumbria side who were touching down once more.

From a scrum on the Scots’ 25m line, the impressive ball distribution of Askam’s Joe Satterthwaite saw a long ball reach Robinson, who went in for his second. Johnston’s kick going in off the upright and the gap was just two.

The Scots could not cope with the Cumbrians, who were on fire, well led by prop Coulthard and Millom’s Dominic O’Brien.

They drove hard up field and spread the ball around at will, but it was the visitors who almost put points on the board, only for Hutchinson to bounce the ball over the line.

Cumbria should have taken the lead when another sweeping attack saw Gordon go for the line when Robinson had a clear walk in.

However, they finally got their noses in front when a perfect long ball from Satterthwaite sent Robinson in for his hat-trick and a 24-22 lead.

There was no stopping Cumbria and a great kick across the field from Johnston enabled Askam’s Iestyn Humphries to snap the ball out of the air and touchdown for 28-22.

Cumbria stood firm as a rare attack saw Williams held short of the line and a counter attack allowed Robinson to claim his fourth try as he hogged the touchline in a 55-yard run, cutting inside the cover to score.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Scotland’s Scott Plumridge crossed for Brad Foster to convert and cut the deficit to four, but the home side held out for a famous victory.

Cumbria Under-19s: Hunsdale (Barrow Island), Clayton (Dalton), Molyneux, McEwan (Dalton), Robinson, Johnston (Dalton), Marwood (Barrow Island), Dent (Ulverston), McCartney, Coulthard, Morton, Slater (Askam), O’Brien (Millom), Satterthwaite (Askam), Humphries (Askam), Gordon (Dalton), McNicholas, Myers (Millom), Furness (Walney), Beattie (Millom), Cooper (Askam), Wright (Millom).