HUNDREDS of people turned out to a rugby match held in memory of an Ulverston teenager who tragically died last year.

Ulverston were crowned champions of Division Two in the North West Mens League following their 34-6 victory over title challengers Oldham St Annes A.

A crowd in the region of 200 witnessed the victory in a game which was held in memory of Lauren Atkinson who tragically died last year.

However, it was scoreless until the 28th minute and Ulverston coach Phil Atkinson, who leaves his role at the end of the season, was delighted with the result.

“We kept our composure and soaked up the pressure, we had the confidence in our fitness and stuck to the game plan” said Atkinson.

“I am so pleased and proud of my players and the turn-out for Lauren was magnificent in a day to remember.”

St Annes’ astute kicking game saw them apply pressure, but it was the home side who went close in the early stages only for Dan Crabtree to knock on close to the line.

Both lines had to work overtime until the home side struck on 28 minutes. Matty Storey took the ball up but was held short of the line, from the play the ball swift handling right to left saw Marc Storey feed Crabtree who went in at the corner, Connor Saunders adding a touchline goal.

Four minutes later the scoreline doubled when the quick thinking Will Coates pulled away from a play the ball forcing his way through the cover to cross from 45 yards out, Saunders obliging with the kick.

Annes almost put points on the board two minutes from the break with hooker Kendall Davey weaving through only to be hauled down. On the stroke of half time, Davey was sent into space by Lancashire but dropped the ball.

Seven minute into the second half, Steve O’Connor caught the St Annes cover napping to race in from forty yards, Saunders adding the goal 18-0.Oldham squandered another chance when Chris Clarke’s pass to Chris Carter was poor.

Then a fine try as Connor Saunders put in a neat cross kick for Marc Storey to swoop and score-Saunders adding the goal.

On the hour mark Oldham finally opened their account when, following a scrum the ball moved sharply to full-back Foggarty to score, with Lancashire adding the goal.

Dan Crabtree crossed in the corner before Matt Dean swooped onto a dropped ball to hog the touchline in a 95 yard dash to score, followed by Saunders adding the goal.

“It was a great day all round a great crowd and I would like to thank all my friends for their sponsoring the pink strip,” added Ulverston chairman Nigel Atkinson, father of the late Lauren.