CHAMPAGNE corks were popping at Hanna Field on Saturday as Millom gained promotion to the West Lancs League Division One.

Player-manager Danny Pattinson has guided his young team to promotion with a couple of games to spare in what has so far been a stellar season.

Their promotion comes hot on the heels of winning the Furness Senior Cup final on Thursday.

Millom got over the points target with a 1-0 win over Charnock Richard Reserves, who themselves still harboured dreams of promotion prior to kick-off.

Millom’s hero was Danny Hewitt who struck the goal on the hour mark that eventually saw Millom promoted.

The game was nip and tuck with both sides cancelling each other out.

Charnock looked the stronger side going into the half-time break. However, it wasn’t long after the break that Millom broke the deadlock.

Left wing back Oliver Pachul popped up on the right hand side to latch on to the end of a Ben McDonald cross.

Pachul cleverly put the ball back across goal where Hewitt was on hand to volley the ball home. Ben McDonald took the man of the match award.

Promotion sees an amazing turn around in fortunes for a Millom side who only four seasons ago conceded more than 100 goals in a league season.

Millom are riding the crest of a wave at the moment and they went into Saturday’s match on the back of beating fellow West Lancs Division Two side Walney Island 1-0 in the Furness Senior Cup final.

Millom started that game brightly but could only muster half chances. But after a Millom corner wasn’t cleared by Walney, Chris O’Brien fired home from the edge of the area to give Millom the lead.

Walney changed their shape at half-time and the game became a tight affair with some full-blooded challenges but few clear-cut chances.

Matt Lockley had Walney’s only real shot on target in the second period which produced a fantastic save from Millom keeper Lee Hanna.

Not to be outdone, Walney keeper Jordan Belcher produced a superb stop from a Jamie Pattinson free-kick. Millom were presented with the cup by Bob Davies from sponsors Travis Perkins.

Millom’s season isn’t finished yet though as they have the League Cup final against Charnock Richard Reserves today at Garsgtang FC (3pm kick-off).

In the West Lancs Premier Division Vickerstown edged nearer to safety with a 1-0 home win over Turton thanks to a Danny Keenan goal.

In Division One GSK Ulverston Rangers enjoyed a 6-0 win over Wyre Villa. Andy Whitefordgrabbed a hat-trick, with Kieron Graham, James Pinnegor and Callum Fawcett making up the half dozen. A Callum Rayner goal wasn’t enough to stop Askam going down 2-1 at CMB.

Furness Rovers finished off their season in style with a 3-0 win at Croston Sports.

Tyler Wood, Ryan Fagan and Reece Carlisle were on target for Rovers. Walney sent a young side to Padiham Reserves with four of last season’s under-16s in the starting line-up and they picked up a point after a 2-2 draw.

James Bailey and Matt Lockley scored for the Islanders. Jordan Fisher grabbed a brace for Dalton but couldn’t stop his side losing 3-2.

Holker Old Boys’ play-off push is over after a 2-2 draw at home to New Mills.

Robbie Wallace and Nath Reid had put the hosts 2-1 ahead, but a last-minute equaliser saw the points shared.

Haverigg secured second place in the Furness Premier League with a 4-2 win over Croftlands Park.

John Chmiel (2), Ricky Jeynes and Bradley Maine scored for Haverigg. Matt Dean and Andy Currie replied for Croftlands.

Bootle made it 15 games unbeaten with a 6-0 win at Britannia.

Aaron Bradley (3), Josh French, Connor Nuttall and Tom Millard were on target for an in-form Bootle side, for whom the end of the season is coming too quickly!

In an agreed double-header of fixtures at Rampside Road Furness Cavaliers Reserves played Vickerstown Reserves in two matches of 30 minutes each way.

Cavs won the first game 2-0 thanks to Jamie Wright and Scott Cain, but Vickerstown won the second 3-1 with Mike Imison (2) and an own goal making up the visitors’ goal tally. Callum Lamb replied for Cavs.

Centre half Imison could have had a hat-trick but saw his penalty hit the bar.

Result of the day must go to Bootle Reserves who beat Dalton United Reserves, who are two leagues above them, 2-0 in the Furness Junior Cup. Kevin Hartley scored both Bootle’s goals.

British Legion also beat higher league opposition in the Junior Cup in the form of Swarthmoor Reserves.

The scores were locked at 0-0, but Legion prevailed in the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

Hawcoat Park are also through to the next round after a 9-1 win over Haverigg Reserves.

Carl Mackay (3) Ryan Muncaster (2) Chris Scott, Jake Reynolds, Frankie Ellis, Luke Shaw and Ronnie Neale were the Hawcoat scorers.

Mitchell Stocks grabbed a consolation for Haverigg Reserves who never threw in the towel at any point against a good Hawcoat side.

Croftlands Park Reserves also made safe passage to the next round after a 5-2 win over Askam Reserves.

Charie Segger struck twice and Jamie Sandham, Taylor Birch and Warren Bolton grabbed one apiece.