HOLKER Old Boys made it two wins from two in North West Counties Division One with an excellent home performance against Whitchurch Alport.

The visitors turned up to Rakesmoor Lane with a 100 per cent record from their first two games.

But, playing down the slope, Holker dominated the first 20 minutes and put the away side’s defence under constant pressure.

A disputed penalty was awarded to Holker and Dave Swarbrick stepped up to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

The home side’s dominance continued and Gareth Smith doubled the lead before half-time.

Whitchurch started the second half brightly but young keeper Callum McElroy, making his home debut, showed confidence beyond his years with some excellent handling.

Old Boys began to take a foothold and, after some great possession play by the home side, a cross from the left wing was met at the far post by Jamie Pattinson and he took his time to superbly side foot the ball home.

Holker were by far the better side on the day and fully deserved the three points. They now travel to Daisy Hill tonight hoping to continue their good start to the season.

The Furness Premier League kicked off and last year’s champions Kirkby United started the defence of their title in style with a 5-1 win against Furness Cavaliers.

Paul Cleasby (2), Andy Doull, Lee Tracey and Tom Wildgoose scored the home sides goals. Aaron Holligan replied for Cavs.

Barrow Celtic beat Millom reserves 3-1 at Newby Terrace, Rob Johnson, Thomas Pavett and Jack Dulgnan all getting on the scoresheet. Millom’s goal came from Chris Wood.

Furness Rovers were the visitors at the Red River to play Brittania and it was the away side who took the lead through Adam Spence.

After a nervous start the Britt equalised through a Paul Dennison free-kick and were 4-1 up by half-time after a Sean Darby brace and one from Ryan Jackson.

Darby completed his hat-trick early in the second half and then a 12-minute hat-trick from Mark Heseltine put the game beyond any doubt. Keenan Crossman made the final score 9-1 with a tight finish in the 90th minute.

The two teams promoted to the Premier Division this season, Croftlands Park and Walney Island, met at Croftlands’ new home Cavandish Park and it was last season’s runners-up Walney who ran out 4-2 winners thanks to goals from Seth Storey, Zak Quayle, Jordan Hughes and a cracking 30-yarder from Dane Townsend. Michael Webster and Andy Currie nedtted the home side’s goals.

Haverigg United were beaten 2-0 at home by Holker Old Boys reserves, Josh Woodend and JP Stanway with the goals in a game well officiated by Mike Loney.

Hawcoat Park reserves beat Swarthmoor reserves 2-0 thanks to Ben Stoker and Chris Hill.

Last season’s runners-up Vickerstown reserves were leading 3-0 by half-time against GSK Ulverston reserves at Park Vale, with goals from veteran Tony Gooding, Mike Adams – with a great lob – and Oscar Fleming. The second half was a more even affair, with little meaningful goalmouth action and no further goals.

The FPL saw the introduction of the new rules regarding roll-on, roll-off substitutes and the early signs are positive and it can only help teams to give players more game time.

In West Lancs Division Two, Furness Cavaliers welcomed Euxton Villa reserves to Rampside Road, were 1-0 down after seven minutes and had home keeper Scott Linklater to thank for a string of good saves.

Cavs responded well and were 2-1 up at the break thanks to Kyle Delves and Ryan Rogers. The same two players scored in the second half for a 4-2 win.

Furness Rovers lost 3-1 at home to Fulwood Amateurs reserves, Reece Carlisle putting Rovers ahead after 10 minutes.

Millom showed that patience is key with their victory against Garstang reserves. The game was all-square after 42 minutes, but Garstang could do nothing to stop the flood of goals from the home side.

Carl Waters bagged a hat-trick, with Ben McDonald (2), Dean Pattinson and Ollie Pachul also doing the damage in a 7-0 win.

Swarthmoor also picked up three points at home thanks to a 2-0 win against Burscough Richmond reserves through goals from Graham Wilcox and O’Neill.

Walney Island were on the wrong end of an 11-2 scoreline against Blackpool Wren Rovers reserves.

In Division One, Askam United travelled to Burcough Richmond and, after going behind after 15 minutes, they came back strongly to record a 3-1 win thanks to goals from Ross Walker (2) and Callum Rayner.

Dalton United were beaten 3-2 at home by Hurst Green. Danny Leech and Jon While were the scorers for Dalton.

GSK Ulverston Rangers lost 4-1 in their home game against Poulton, Jack Gardner with the goal.

Hawcoat Park made the long trek to Stoneclough and won 3-0 with goals coming from Elliot Moore (2) and Ryan Magatoto.

In the Premier Division, Crooklands Casuals picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw away to Lostock St Gerards. Mike Hargreaves equalised in the 83rd minute.

Vickerstown were beaten 7-2 at Fulwood Amateurs, Carl Pearson with both their goals.