HOLKER Old Boys have returned to form of late which has seen them haul themselves out of the relegation places and into mid-table.

The visit of promotion-chasing Alsagar Town to Rakesmoor Lane would give them a stern test, and it was Holker who started the game the brightest.

With only five minutes on the clock Gaz Smith played in Danny Keenan whose shot was well saved by the visiting keeper.

Holker were on the front foot for most of the half with Nath Reid and Robbie Wallace having half chances and Brad Hubbold pulling the strings in midfield.

Gaz Smith hit a screamer of a shot from 25 yards that just flashed the wrong side of the post. Early in the second half Nath Reid looked to have been hauled down in the box but the referee waved away shouts for a penalty.

Not long after the Holker penalty appeal was turned down Alsager got the benefit of the doubt and were awarded a spot ick for an adjudged push in the area. The spot kick was blasted woefully wide and Holker breathed a sigh of relief.

With 15 minutes remaining the chance of the game fell to Keenan after some excellent work by Gaz Smith put Robbie Wallace one on one with the keeper. The youngster unselfishly squared to Keenan but the ball seemed to get stuck in his feet and the chance was gone. The game finished 0-0 with Holker probably thinking they should have won.

Vickerstown lifted themselves off the foot of the West Lancs League Premier Division table after a 4-2 win over Haslingden St Mary’s at Park Vale. Danny Cummings and Rob Bruce put the home side 2-0 up but two quick goals just after half time levelled the scores.

The talismanic Cummings was the hero on the day as he scored two penalties late in the game to complete his hat-trick and secure the points.

In the First Division Askam faced Milnthorpe and were on the wrong end of a 9-1 scoreline. Mikey Thompson scored their consolation goal.

Crooklands picked up a welcome three points with a 3-2 win over Hurst Green. Jack Gardner and Kieron Clark twice pulled Crooklands level before a late Jasper Carey goal sealed the points.

Hawcoat Park beat Fulwood Amateurs Reserves 1-0, Mike Melia with the goal.

GSK Ulverston Rangers raced into a two-goal lead at Eagley but were then on the back foot for the remainder of the game, conceding five goals before half-time and eventually losing 6-2. Andy Whiteford and Chris Bolton with the goals.

Furness Cavaliers left it late to rescue a point against Charnock Richard Reserves. Kyle Delves rattled home a 25 yard free-kick in the last minute to level the scores at 1-1.

Dalton United lost 3-1 on Ladybridge’s 3G pitch. Frazer Shand was the scorer. Millom’s 100 per cent win record in the league has gone after nine games as they lost 1-0 at Lostock St Gerards Reserves.

Hawcoat Park Reserves are back on top of the Furness Premier League after a 3-1 over Dalton United Reserves. Jack Elliot (2) and Harry Spiers were on target for Hawcoat. Mark Jones replied for Dalton.

Bootle and Holker Old Boys Reserves played out a 2-2 draw. Jordan Brough and Danny Sawyer scored Holker’s efforts. Aaron Bradley and Steve Pritt replied for Bootle.

Britannia beat Vickerstown Reserves 3-0. Paul Dennison, Mark Heseltine and Ryan Barker shared the goalscoring duties. Barrow Celtic visited Kirkby’s Community Centre home and came away with all three points after a 4-2 win. Rob Johnson, Sean Sweeney, Connor Smith and Zak Parker were the away side’s scorers. Millom Reserves beat Haverigg 2-1. Chris Wood and Josh Keen scored for Millom. John Chmiel was on target for Haverigg. Walney Island Reserves beat Coniston 6-1. Kane Moffatt scored four and the in-form Seth Story helped himself to another two goals. Tommy Clarke scored Coniston’s consolation goal.

Just like their reserves, Hawcoat A are at the summit of their league and picked up another three points after a close 1-0 victory over bottom side Haverigg Reserves. Tom Stanwix was the match winner.

Millom A are seven points adrift of Hawcoat but have a couple of games in hand and kept somewhat in touch after a 3-1 win over Crooklands Casuals Reserves.

Jonny Hodgson, Stewart Smith and Greg Waters grabbed a goal each for Millom and a week after watching his son lift the World Cup, Terry Anderson completed a great week by scoring for Crooklands.

Barrow Celtic Reserves lost 5-1 to Ormsgill North End. Chris Atkinson scored for Celtic but Damo Minnican (2) Danny Cunningham, Danny O’Halloran and Paul Fleming did the damage for Orsmgill for whom Liam Cunningham was outstanding on the day.

Barrow Wanderers and Bridge shared six goals in a 3-3 draw. Bridge were 2-0 up through Josh Greenwood and Sam Davies before a Jed Wilkinson brace dragged Wanderers back on level terms. Bridge were back in front after a Kieron Roberts goal but Jed Wilkinson helped himself to his hat trick after converting a last-minute penalty. Vickerstown A lost 6-2 to Furness Rovers Reserves. Andy Oxley lead the way with a hat-trick, Joe Bradbury (2) and Joe Loughlin made up the half dozen. Stu Tippett and Liam Hardman scored for Vickerstown.

Croftlands Park Reserves continue to sit at the top of the Second Division after a 6-0 demolition of Walney A. Isaac Prosser went home with the match ball after his hat-trick. Charlie Segger, Andy Spence and Harry Gallivan shared the other three goals. Barrow Celtic A beat Britannia Reserves 7-0, Scott Burgess (2) Craig Hyde, Iaian McDonald, Chris Coates, Jason Jackson and Lee Cargan were the Celtic scorers.

GSK Ulverston Reserves lost 4-1 at home to British Legion. Zak Gill, Paul Williams and Conner Bone (2) were the Legion’s scorers. Sam Wager replied for GSK. Holker Old Boys A beat Bootle Reserves 3-2, Chris Scott and Adam Mawson both found the net for Bootle. Chris Squire, Tom Jefferson and cub stalwart Paul Southward, showing he still has the knack of finding the net, scored for Holker.