HOLKER Old Boys missed the chance to get to within touching distance of the Hallmark North West Counties Division One play-off places with a 3-0 defeat to Cammell Laird.

Guy Heffernan’s side started well at Rakesmoor Lane on Saturday and Danny Keenan had two early glimpses at goal which came to nothing.

But Cammell Laird then came into their own. Their striker headed a gilt-edged chance over from five yards and a quick free-kick flashed just wide of the post.

Nath Reid hit the post for Holker after a neat ball by Rob Parker. Minutes before the half-time whistle the Merseysiders took a corner, which Holker had chances to clear, but after failing to clear the danger, the ball was swung back into the box and headed home at the far post.

Holker started the second half well and JP Stanway went close in the early exchanges. Midway through the half the players were caught up in some off-the-ball shenanigans and minutes later Holker were 2-0 behind.

After losing possession cheaply Cammell Laird broke and their striker headed home from eight yards out.

That goal knocked the wind out of Holker’s sails and in the last five minutes Cammell Laird broke again and punished Holker with a tidy finish for 3-0.

With leaders Hawcoat Park reserves having a blank weekend in the Furness Premier League, it was up to the chasing pack to try to make a dent in their 13-point lead at the top of the table.

Swarthmoor helped themselves to three points as they beat Vickerstown reserves 3-0.

Rikki Gallagher scored two sublime goals and Graham Wilcox helped himself to his customary goal.

Kirkby United lost a seven-goal thriller 4-3 at home to Britannia. Fugler, Saunders and Gardner scored for Kirkby. Luke Vandome, Ross Walker, Seb Chromiak and Ryan Barker were on target for The Brit.

Haverigg kept in touch with the chasing pack beating Coniston 2-0 thanks to goals from John Chmiel and Bradley Mane.

Croftlands Park inflicted a 5-1 defeat on Holker Old Boys reserves.

Steve Forbes scored for Holker but Matt Dean plundered another hat-trick, with Lewis Jones and Chris Malone also getting on the scoresheet. Millom reserves hosted Furness Cavaliers reserves and beat them 3-1. Lee Postlethwaite, Chris Wood and Josh Keen scored a goal each for Millom.

Matt Hargreaves replied from the penalty spot for Cavs.

Walney Island reserves lost 8-0 to an on-fire Barrow Celtic. Connor Smith (4) Matt France (2) Andy Hainey and the evergreen Joe Murphy all scored for Celtic. Bootle and Dalton reserves drew 0-0.

In Division One the game between leaders Hawcoat Park A and Askam reserves was abandoned after 20 minutes when Lee Upton suffered a suspected broken leg after a run-of-the-mill 50/50 challenge. We all wish Lee a speedy recovery.

Bridge United beat Crooklands reserves 6-1. Reece Craig (2), Josh Greenwood (2) and Josh Harris (2) all scored for Bridge. Terry Anderson scored Crooklands’ consolation.

Haverigg United reserves lost 2-0 at home to Swarthmoor Social reserves. Lewis Sullivan and a Josh Smith net-buster made up the Swarthmoor tally.

Ormsgill North End beat Furness Rovers reserves 4-2. Brendan Trainor scored a brace for Rovers but Ormsgill, who came from behind twice, ran out winners thanks to goals from Danny O’Halloran, Danny Cunningham (penalty) Liam Cunningham and Johnny O’Halloran.

Both sides thanked Dave Quayle who stepped in at the last minute to referee the match.

Vickerstown A lost 2-1 to Barrow Celtic reserves. Mikey Adams scored for Vickerstown but Andy Graham and Alex Hall made sure of the points for Celtic.

Barrow Wanderers beat Millom A 4-3. Mark O’Brien (2) and Steve Grieve were the Millom marksmen.

Jed Wilkinson, Jordan Swarbrick, Ryan Docherty and Craig McIlvogue were all on target for Wanderers, who had to see out a nervy last 10 minutes of a topsy-turvy game to keep hold of the points.

Division Two action saw Britannia reserves lose 2-1 to Kirkby United reserves. Jack Kavanagh scored for the Brit. Matt Laisby and Tom Fisher both found the net for Kirkby.

GSK Ulverston reserves beat Bootle reserves 6-1. Curtis McAloone, Oliver Forlizzi, Stu Smith, Reece Rigg and Luke McCracken (2) all found the net for GSK. Tom Millard scored for Bootle who did not perform well after a great win last week.

Holker Old Boys A lost 5-1 at home to British Legion. Tom Gillard (2) Conner Bone (2) and Darryll Johnson scored for the Legion. Leon Knight was on target for Holker. Millom St James lost 1-0 at home to Barrow Celtic A for whom Danny Mackay scored the winner.

In the West Lancs Premier Division Vickerstown lost 2-0 at home to Southport Hesketh.

In the First Division Askam put a halt to recent poor results with a 1-1 draw at home to Stoneclough. Scott Steele was on target for Askam.

Crooklands also put an end to recent poor form with a 1-1 draw against table-toppers Poulton.

Steve Caskie equalised for Crooklands after well-travelled striker Max Landless had put Poulton 1-0 up.

GSK lost 2-0 away at CMB. Hawcoat Park lost 2-1 at home to Hurst Green due a 90th minute penalty. Elliott Moore scored for Hawcoat.

Second division results went well for our local sides as Dalton United beat Lostock St Gerards 3-2, with goals coming from Jack Hurst, Keith Holmes and Gareth Jones.

Furness Cavaliers drew 2-2 with Padiham reserves. Chris Cloudsdale and Ryan Rogers scored for Cavs. Furness Rovers beat Thornton Cleveleys reserves 3-1.

Josh Jones, Ryan Fagan and an own goal secured the points for Rovers.

Millom lost ground at the top of the table after losing 4-2 at Tempest United reserves. Jordan Williams and Jamie Pattinson scored in vain for the travelling side.

Walney Island beat Euxton Villa reserves 5-2 down on Tummerhill.

Matt Lockley opened the scoring with a fantastic header, Josh Gay doubled the lead with a free-kick and then a minute later Euxton gifted Walney a 3-0 lead after an own goal.

Mattie McKee scored from all of 30 yards against the wind for Walney’s fourth and Steve Brennan wrapped it up with a 90th minute penalty.